1/48 Me262B-1a/U1 "Red 8" - The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, you'll need to as it will be a while!

First priority is to get all the details sorted - like putting the slats back in. This first pic shows how I started, with slots cut into the inside leading edge and then thick styrene sheets CA-glued in and trimmed to shape. Also in this pic you'll see that I added the missing bulges on the gun cowls. These will need to be blended in better than shown at the moment.

15111001.jpg

The trailing edge of the slat was then thinned to a knife edge and glued to the actuators that I trimmed above. This took some trial dry-fitting and adjustment until the right configuration was achieved.

15111002.jpg

Work continues toward the wingtip - tedious but effective. The outer slats were split in two with two actuator brackets per slat. Note the squiggle on the wing top - sometimes I do a practice welle when I have some left over paint. This will, of course, be covered.

15111006.jpg

In the other bay of the assembly line, the Naxos antennas were assembled. I did not like the PE aerials that were supplied with the kit as they were noticeably flat, so I made my own. I cut some brass rod using the dimensions of the PE pieces and, because there were thinner sections on the ends, I masked the ends and brushed on 4 coats of primer to thicken the centers.

15111003.jpg

After peeling the masks, this was the result:

15111004.jpg

It was only at this point that I discovered that the kit PE pieces were too long, resulting in the inner pieces interfering with each other. I therefore used the outer aerials, which were a bit shorter, at the inner positions and shortened the longer pieces and glued them to the outer positions. Taping the brackets to a flat surface was essential for careful alignment of the aerials.

15111005.jpg

....and another day passes.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

The leading edge slats are all done and a final primer coat applied to check the panel work.

15111501.jpg
15111503.jpg

The primer shows just a tad more attention needed around the nose panels. More rivets to be added as well.

15111502.jpg

With that finalized, I got on with painting the wings. I'm going with a plain RLM 82 wing upper camo with no splinters as befits a late model production. What I want to capture here is the suggestion that the RLM 82 was very thinly applied over puttied seams and rivets. To do this, I started with a coat of darker green XF58 Olive Green. Then, using the elevator as a trial area, I masked the panel and rivet lines and painted over the area with XF67 Nato Green

15111504.jpg
15111505.jpg

Not bad, though a bit too pronounced a difference for my eye. I think I'll go ahead with this technique and then go over the darker green later with a thin coat of XF67 to make the effect a bit more subtle.

Thanks for looking in.

Last edited:
Moving along. I went over the harsh lines with a very thin coat of XF67 and then, not being 100% happy that the colour looked like the brighter green of RLM 82, I thinned a cup of Tamiya XF5 and did a light coat of that.

15111901.jpg

Happy with this, I moved on to the main wings. The time consuming job of masking, to me, is worth it as I don't feel that I can achieve such a tight shading pattern with my airbrush alone.

15111903.jpg
15111902.jpg

After a coat of XF67, the masks were removed......

15111904.jpg

....and then the pronounced pattern was blended in with the same thin coats of XF 67 and XF 5

15111905.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out and will now move on to the fuselage camo.

With the wing uppers masked off, I gunned a coat of RLM 76 onto the fuselage.

15112001.jpg

The nice thing about Red 8 is that its camouflage was analyzed and written about in detail (see article by Pat Donahue linked in Post 2). The 76 was found to have been sprayed over with a light coat of RLM 02 which "effectively killed the blue cast of the RLM 76 base coat......" to "give a base for the mottling application which gave effective ground camouflage from roaming Allied fighter bombers. Over this was sprayed a random mottle of RLM 81 82".

So a light coat of 02 was applied and, to keep it interesting and representative of a rushed application, I left a bit of the 76 to show through.

15112002.jpg
15112003.jpg

Next it was on to the 81/82 mottling. Donahue notes that port and starboard patterns were different, probably owing to the likelihood that two different people painted the aircraft at the same time. The port side received a fairly typical patchy mottle whereas the right side was more of an irregular linear scheme. I tried to replicate this and here's the result.

15112004.jpg
15112005.jpg

I'm reasonably happy with how this came out but I think I will go over the scheme a little with some more 02 as it looks a but dense. Will try that later tonight and see how she comes out.

Last edited:
Thanks gents.

Bottom has been sprayed black and glossed.

15112201.jpg

After 24 hours, I sprayed the tops of the nacelles a dark green (suspected to be a dark green primer or RLM 83) and then glossed everything:

15112202.jpg
15112203.jpg

Close-up of one of the nacelles.

15112204.jpg

Should be ready for decals soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back