1/48th scale Wessex HAR.2, 22 (SAR) Sqn, RAF Valley, 1990.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great stuff Terry!

Bill, we were still using WW II AQA5 arc burning processors in our Orions when I was last there ('95)! Later read of plans to replace them finally with updated computer software, but don't know how that panned out.

Terry, the SH-34J was just a re designation of the HSS-1. Still had the big a$$ round engine in the front. I sill love the sound of them big jugs pumping out smoke when they start turning over. That beautiful blue smoke screening everything around it.

I digress.

I have seen the Revell 34 on ebay, one hundred Bucks, plus, I don't think so!!!!!!!!

But, you are inspiring me to do a few more detail things inside my GB. Good stuff Terry.

Thanks very much guys, and no problem Matt, HAR, HAIR, Harpie? Ask me if I'm bothered!
Bill, if this is the original Sikorksy S-55 shape, then I've seen one recently, with the floats (which can be deleted) at 'normal' prices. I'll have a look and let you know where I saw it.

Bill, I've just realised which aircraft you mean. Basically, the H-34 Choctaw. Well, you're in luck, as the current Wessex kit (the one being used here) has it's basis in the original H-34 kit, and still has the original 'round' nose parts included, and the landing gear is correct for this type - but not for a Wessex!
I'll send you a PM in case you don't see this post.

Ohhhh man, now I got the bug to get the Wessex, sounds like Monty Python came up with that name, so I can have my 34. I'm starting to get a stash! And Now with the new list of GB's, I think I have fallen in with the rest of yous!

Thanks very much guys, and glad the Wessex kit will work out for you Bill. It's a good kit overall, although some of the engraved detail is rather basic, and the panel lines a bit deep, but nothing which can't be easily overcome. I might even have the engine and bulkhead from a S-55 left over, which would probably fit a H-34, if you need them?
Working on the beginnings of the nose modifications now, and will mould the new part when the balsa block arrives. More soon.

Carrying on with the final parts of the cockpit, before moving on to the nose conversion, the windscreen has been masked, the frames painted inside and out, the roof switch panel done, and the instrument panel shroud fitted and painted.
PIC 1 Shows the masking on the windscreen. The matt black was first painted on the outside, then where access was possible, the internal frames and roof panel were also painted.
PIC 2. Work under way adding switches and knobs to the roof switch / navcom panels.
PIC 3. The finished panels and rotor clutch - a little re-touching will be done when the paint has fully dried.
PIC 4. Making the shroud round the instrument panel, using thin plastic card.
PIC 5. After sanding and painting.
PIC 6. Next stage is the modifications to the nose. The detail will be sanded off or filled as required, and a new filter box section moulded, fitted, and blended in with Milliput. The finished sub-assembly will be fitted with a spacer around the joint between nose section and fuselage, to move the whole assembly forward a few millimetres, thereby increasing the overall length. As soon as the required materials arrive, work will begion on this, the trickiest part of the conversion.
Thanks once again for your interest in this project, and for your kind comments. More as soon as there's something to show.

Attachments

• Wessex Build 194.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 48
  • Wessex Build 193.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Wessex Build 202.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Wessex Build 195.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Wessex Build 204.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Wessex Build 189.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 48
Thanks Matt and Andy. Yes Matt, you are quite right. The entire panel measures around 15 x 8 mm, so trying to make the switches and knobs the required size would be rather fiddly and difficult. Therefore, longer lengths of stretched sprue were cemented into each pre-drilled hole, then snipped off close. The result is shown in the next pic, with the panel painted, but awaiting some touch-up on the switches.

I did more or less the same toggle switch thing on my 1/32 P-51. Drilled a hole, stretched some sprue and pulled it thru from the back, glue and trim. Worked a treat.

God work mate.

Users who are viewing this thread