1/72 Italeri Heinkel HE-III H-6; 2/Kg 28, Mediterranean Sea 1942-1943 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all, I believe ill be going with a paper cut-out / blu-tac approach for the mottle. We'll see how it settles.. :)

Ok, so here is the paper way. First I measured the planes dimensions (wing span) on the instruction sheet and realized it was 6in on the paper and 12 in on the model, then I measured every mottle and doubled the length to draw on paper in which I cut out (2:1 ratio). I then placed all the cut pieces on the wing with some tac then sprayed the sand. I was very careful with this, as I didnt want paint going under the pieces. Then, I lightly sanded the mottles down into a uniform look. With this way, the mottles will come out accurately in size but leaves me the error of drawing a 'altered' shape and being ok..

Attachments

• PICT1154.JPG
    PICT1154.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 101
  • PICT1155.JPG
    PICT1155.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 109
  • PICT1156.JPG
    PICT1156.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 97
  • PICT1157.JPG
    PICT1157.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 98
Nice work! Unorthodox approach but coming out nice.

If you're uncomfortable free-handing the mottle, the more common approach would be to do the reverse of what you're doing. Start with the sand, then cut holes in a large mask to cover the wing and spray the green over the mask. To soften the edges of the mottle, you can put little bits of rolled up tape under the mask to raise it near the holes.

Saves paint that way too.

Very unorthodox, but math has finally payed off! The mottles are somewhat scale and it doesn't look like a crap job with a impatient airbrush session or paint brush. It only took about 30 mins to measure and cut out my pieces. I have a bit of confidence in this approach ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back