1/750 HMAS Sydney, the aircraft carrier - Unofficial GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

no model building last night. It was state of origin rugby league and watched all 80 minutes.

Tonite I inched forward some with the ships boat just about ready for installation.

ships boats 1.jpg

ships boats 2.jpg

ships boats 3.jpg

ships boats 4.jpg

I have started to fit out the boat decks below the flight deck. Most of the work ive done as scratch building. Some fittings like gangway stairs and ladders are available as AM PE sheets but Ive done these as well as those items like power winches and boat derricks, fire hose racks and reels ive done myself. Even though they are often just 3d blobs at this scale , not a lot of this detail is all that visible, Doing it myself keeps the deck fitout costs to a reasonable level but is better than leaving these spaces vacant.

Basically Ive added blocks to the support craft, fitted and glued them into position, fashione and then fitted boat davits (for port side no1 fwd bay), made a boat crane and fitted, as well as fire hydrant, stairs, ladder and two power winches

The cladding is not yet fitted, but ive taken a shot just to show something of what it will look like when I do button up the sides.

Port side Fwd Boat Bay  .jpg

Port side Fwd Boat Bay  II.jpg

Port side Fwd Boat Bay II .jpg

Port side Fwd Boat Bay Dry Fit .jpg

Hi everyone

im just in a short holding pattern at the moment. Ive ordered a whole bunch of AM goodies from White ensign. Even though my scratch building is okay, there are some elements that I will simply not be able to fabricate. For example, I just assumed that power winches at this scale were not available , but they are. moreover, some of the tiny twin bofors mounts have been damaged. the PE constructs are available and seem to look better anyway.

So, currently Im waiting for following the PE parts
Bofors mounts, twins and single
power winchesome additional radar arrays
ships boats (more from curiosity really)
additional railing, stairs and ladders
Fire hydrants
some hatchways
I probably will leave as is what ive done to this point, but I do have the opportunity to revise my build technique for the starboard side. I may revise that yet.

There will be about a 14 day delay whilst I wait for the parts

AM PE has arrived!!

PE Parts I.jpg

PE Parts II.jpg

PE Parts III.jpg

PE Parts IV.jpg

I chose USN WWII radars because the arrays appear to be a closer match to the Korean war fitout of the Sydney than the equivalent product for the RN. Maybe im wrong but im going to visit the FAA museum in about two weeks and will check that huge 1/96 scale model for which I posted a link earlier

Looking forward to all the bendy fun. Do you have a PE bending tool Michael? I have this 3 1/2" tool for my limited PE use, very handy

JMC005.jpg

Last edited:
So, ive unfortunately discovered some inaccuracies in the resin model that I feel necessary to correct.

The problem is in the poop deck or fantail detail. According to Max Montague, the detail of this area is as follows:

poop deck detail.jpg

There is of course the timber decking colour, various winches and passageways. The rearmost bulkhead is approximately abreast the first stauncheon of the fantail .

none of this detail is captured in the model, and I think it is a significant detracting component. The only time I saw this ship was in 1970, about a year before she was sent to the breakers. Apart from the huge pieces of rust coming away from her, I remember this stern area to be expansive in terms of its area. To not have it even partly depicted in that fashion would be very detrimental .

As it currently stands the stern area looks as follows:

poop deck detail II.jpg

I think if I remove the PE plates from the side and rear, I will be able to get to the dolid blob in the middle and file it back to the required position.

Some progress, with the results following. Successfully removed the stern PE plates and worked out a way to sand back inside the aperture. The stern deck now has a much more capacious feel to it, though I wont be able to fit quite the detail shown in the 1/96 scale model now on display at the National maritime museum

Ive managed to work out how to put together the "2.1 ft" power winches for the stern deck I should have four of them but I think with scaling effect it will be sufficient to have 3 of them. I will also need to put together the 3.5 ft power winches for the stern wings at the very back of the ship .

The 2.1 ft winches don't look much yet, but Ive got to paint and fill them yet. in real terms they are about 2mm across which I found very difficult.
2 ft power winch 2.jpg

2 ft power winch.jpg

Power winch assembly detail .jpg

stern Deck enlarged II (2).jpg

stern Deck enlarged.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back