1/750 HMAS Sydney, the aircraft carrier - Unofficial GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yet another detour . The kit does not include some essential deck furniture, known as deck chocks. These are used to control the morring lines as they are winched in or let out.

I can buy some from lArsenal but at the wrong scale (1/350th scale....they look like this
1540519571402.png

I cant seem to see any aftermarket versions at the tight scle. I do have a few in another kit, but I don't want to break up that kit.

I was thinking of creating a mold out of one in the kit, in clay and using some sort of resin to cast my own versions of this part.

Question is, what type of resin should I use and any suggestions about where I might get it. The mold itself would basically be a one use and break arrangement

Basically how to make molds to make my own parts....I will need about 14 of the parts.....they will each measure about 2.5mm length x 2mm height x 1mm deep. So pretty small

There are resin kits that you can buy at craft stores for making casts of objects for fake jewellery and such. However, you might find that making things that small might be tricky as resins often produce air bubbles that need to be dissipated.

So a quick update on progress. I have made some 10 winches, 5 of the smaller 2 foot type and 5 of the 4 foot type. Ground back the stern fantail and fabricated a stern façade to better replicate the detail shown above.

I was unsuccessful in making the morring line chocks. So ive ordered some which will arrive in about 6 weeks. Gives me enough time to build my GB40 and get back to this project by Christmas...…

power winches (ii)  4 ft type.jpg

power winches 2 ft type.jpg

Stern Detail 3.jpg

Stern Detail 4.jpg
Stern detail .jpg

Between ordering and the package arriving at my door, the usual delay at this time of the year (just before Christmas) is about 6 weeks. Occasionally it can be less, but I wouldn't count on it.

one of the joys of living far from anywhere.

After Christmas the delay might reduce by as much as two weeks (to about 4 weeks).

That's as surface/standard mail, but can be much quicker by express post. the problem with express post is the cost. For the material I purchased over the weekend, the item cost $9.56 AU, and the postage about $9. As a priority paid express post item, it is supposed to arrive within 3 days (but never does, more like two weeks) but costs more than $70 in delivery charges.

That's the costs from Europe (I ordered the part from L'Arsenal). The US is off the charts in postal charges, roughly double that.

This is the main reason I strongly support the local business for providing materials for the hobby. Their shelf prices are more expensive but the overall costs are much less.

Don't ask me about the local Foxtel services. we don't get anything like the US as far as choices are concerned.

The cheapests and quickest services by far come from asia. Hong Kong has roughly a 1 week turn around and a delivery charge that is often free.

It didn't take six weeks. I can be a dram queen at times. by accepting the penalties of airmail it took 15 days to arrive.

Here are the progress shots so far. Im aiming to have the pavilions below the flight deck completed before swing over to GB-40

poop deck detail II.jpg

Port side fantail pavillion progress II.jpg

Port side fantail pavillion progress.jpg

Stbd side fantail pavillion.jpg

Stbd side rear pavillion.jpg

Stern Detail 3.jpg

Stern Detail 4.jpg

My son has gotten very interested in his great grandfather and WWI. Here he is wearing grandfathers WWI medals on Remembrance day
Remembrance Day 2018 II.jpg

Remembrance Day 2018.jpg

so a little bit more this weekend though I am keenly aware of my GB commitments . Shipbuilding is a slow business, and for me I just have to take it very slow, or attract a very high risk of things going wrong.

With the area below the flight deck pretty much in hand (still have a few bits to do, like the anchors), I decided to move onto the superstructure. I attached the funnel, which was easy, and now have made a start on the main mast. its a bit tricky. PE parts need to be attached in a certain order, but that ordering is nowhere that I can see in the instructions. I managed to rig a jury holding rig and position the PE platforms (well two of them at least), onto the forward pole of the main mast. Those poles aren't supplied, you have to make your own ....the kit recommends using white styrene rod , but I thought I would try fine (a mix of 0.5 and 0.2 mm tubing that I normally use to make aircraft cannon @ 1/72 scale). Getting the support poles the right length and spacing the mast platforms the right heights and distances from each other was tricky. at the same time, by taking it steady ive not had any major disasters yet. Like I said though its very slow going.

Masthead part compllete (I).jpg

Masthead part compllete (II) (2).jpg

Masthead part compllete (III).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back