1st PLACE BEGINNER: P-61 Black Widow of Maj. Carrol C. "Snuffy" Smith

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Paul, your photo references helped justify my wear and tear :)

Me too Keith, I got the base cut up so next is the spackle. Need to make some muller trees and paint up the figures and such. :)

I'm working on the same plane but I made a few changes. After some exhaustive research, I've added some things to the antennas that I found were particular to the P-61B's. One was the red wings on those H type antennas. The other is the cat wiskers up near the front of the plane. I also noticed that there is an egg on a stick shaped antenna that was located in different places depending on the unit. Finally, I found that there is an often over looked scoop on the starboard side near the back seat. I know not all the P-61B's had this but if I can, I will include it. The window hatch for the back seat also has a red handle that sticks out. I've been successful in makeing this. The fender on the front wheel had two supports attached to it. I'm trying to fabricate this as well. I hope my model could look as good as yours. I'll post some pictures when I can.

This just happens to be my next kit. Any tips you'd like to share on how to get it done would be appreciated.

Have spoken to a few of the 418TH NFS This image is from their squadron book I have. It is a sore point with those guys as none of the aircraft had red stripes or yellow star moon.

418thnfs-1.png

carrol-1.png

smith-1.png

smithswidow-1.png

Last edited:
Thanks, Barney. Now that I know the truth I'm going to feel obligated to try to correct the markings when I get around to making this bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back