DONE: 1/48 Revell P-61 Black Widow of Maj. Carrol C. "Snuffy" Smith Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well they provided red strips on the decal sheet but you have to cut them up yourself to make the walkway. Its about 6 strips of long red, while the walk way has a triangle pattern and such, it might be rough making it correct. Plus overlapping decals sucks!

I wanted to but had a feeling I would make the width with the tape wrong. Ill figured something out, kind of want to get this done and move on, feels like ive been working on it forever. :|

Looking rather impressive old chap! Use the decals, just take your time, and position them using Micro Sol or similar. Probably best to do those running in one direction first, then let them set before doing the others. If you get an overlap, try using a new blade in your scalpel, and cutting the decal in position, where it joins. Any small gap etc can be touched-in later, when set. Gloss paint is better for this, which can be clear coated as required later.

Alright lads I resprayed the booms, now the controversy is over!! :)

I also misted over some of the chipping to settle it down a bit, looks good.

Hey corey that looks strange in silver it thinks its a bolt HeHe should be neat when you get the black overcoat on and start chipping mate.BB

Thats already been done BB, see page 13 - 14..

Corey you think decals suck you should see my next project its huge white and does warp nine HeHe i think you can guess what it is.BB yep got that looks good mate thats the prob when you put a comment in at the beginning and it goes to the end

Last edited:
Your right mate its the big 1/350 enterprise with all the aztec decals i think i may need a tub of valium after doing that lot.HeHe.BB

Shots of the finished booms and misting. I think it looks a lot better like this.

Attachments

• DSC_0192.JPG
    DSC_0192.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_0193.JPG
    DSC_0193.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_0195.JPG
    DSC_0195.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_0196.JPG
    DSC_0196.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 119
As much as I loved shredding paint off the booms the point of this build is to learn something and do it right, I felt no sadness in respraying it. I might revisit the leading edges though, they do look a little too toned down from the mist, or it could be the weak lighting. Painting the canopy frames now, props done and decaled, fuel tanks almost done, red walk way... tune in

Hey Corey, read your message....yeah the booms and some other spots were just a tad overdone before, looks much better now. Always start with small bits at a time in locations that are always subject to wear, front of cowls, wing leading edges, walk ways. Then you either expand those areas or add in other areas always thinking where and how it would be affected....

The best thing is that you had a good go at it...went a little far..probably, but with good intentions of course! :D
Then determined some was probably not quite right, repainted and adjusted your work...well done.

Remember...what you did was not a mistake!..simply part of a process that you adjusted, improved and learnt from....godd stuff mate!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back