A Dewoitine D.520 under Italian flag - From the Azur kit in 1:32

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Generally, a plastic stringer is a good idea for keeping the correct wing dihedral.

Hello,

the dihedral is 3,5° measuring on the longeron topside, or 13,6% 7degrees75 measuring at the underside of the front longeron.
Sand the detail 4, it is a door, no a air outlet.

D520intradostrain.jpg

If you use a tape to maintain the dihedral during the sticking, when you will remove the tape, the elasticity of plastic will change the dihedral.

You can made a jig to obtain the good dihedral, and fix a strip of plastic sheet, thickness 1 or 1,5 on the underside of top wing.
I make as this on the H75 with a strip 3x3mm. thereby the wings have the good dihedral.

On the pictures below you can see the strip (white) between the wings.
sous%20ensemble.jpg

Many thanks for your info: the dihedral angle it's exactly what I needed to know. I think I will make a jig.
In this moment in time I'm fighting with badly warped wings; as I mentioned above I intend to understand where the wing problem is before I do anything else on this model.
Alberto

I spent a lot of money to purchase the Contact Resine upgrade kit and it will be very bad if I will not be able to sort out the gap issue so this is now my first priority.
I will stop working on the cockpit and I will start soon on wheels bays in order to get wings done and solid and then deal with the gaps.
Alberto
In this moment in time I'm fighting with badly warped wings; as I mentioned above I intend to understand where the wing problem is before I do anything else on this model.

The width section of cowling is 28,8mm measured just under the airduct, it's possible that CR is too large?

the wheel well is too thick on the top, sand it

Between cowling and leading edge there was the air outlet of oïl cooler. On the late version there was an "Y" duct masked by A10.
On the early version there was a single straight duct, so cut the A10 to obtain a single strip (3mm at the 1/32) who stop at the leading edge.

The width section of cowling is 28,8mm measured just under the airduct, it's possible that CR is too large?

the wheel well is too thick on the top, sand it

Between cowling and leading edge there was the air outlet of oïl cooler. On the late version there was an "Y" duct masked by A10.
On the early version there was a single straight duct, so cut the A10 to obtain a single strip (3mm at the 1/32) who stop at the leading edge.

OK, I sanded already the extended CR cowling down to 29.4 mm but there is resin enough and can be sanded again to reach 28.8 mm, no problem.
About the wheel wells, I approached the issue differently, I cut the bottom and I will replace it with plasticard disk with added details, have you got any good picture of this area?

As per the A10 pcs, I glued it already to check if it works, and it works well! After a little bit of sanding wings are meeting the fuselage almost fine, but I still have to deal with the dihedral; I shall make a jig today.

Again, many, many thanks for your support!
Alberto

I eventually put my hands again on this build, so here are some pictures of the cockpit almost complete:

DSCN0713.JPG
DSCN0714.JPG
DSCN0715.JPG
DSCN0716.JPG
DSCN0717.JPG

Still to be assembled the very unusual gun-sight and I still have to decide how to build seat straps, I will probably use buckles only from the p.e. fret with belts made with tin foil.

Some lore to follow soon.

Happy New Year !!!
Alberto

Best wishes to all

It's a beautiful work,

the cushion and back seat were "bleu de nuit" as the area cockpit. (but the cockpit will be too dark)
The harness had 5 belts. 2 through the hole in the back seat, 1 each side and 1 ahead(between the legs of pilot).
You could make 2xtwo wires of rudder control. These wires, from rudder bar, go under the seat

Attachments

• cables direction.jpg
    cables direction.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 99
Best wishes to all

It's a beautiful work,

the cushion and back seat were "bleu de nuit" as the area cockpit. (but the cockpit will be too dark)
The harness had 5 belts. 2 through the hole in the back seat, 1 each side and 1 ahead(between the legs of pilot).
You could make 2xtwo wires of rudder control. These wires, from rudder bar, go under the seat

Many thanks to all for the nice comments and particularly to waroff for his suggestions.
I will surely consider those concerning seat belts but I cannot any more add the wires (sadly) because the fuselage is already sealed. I also glued the resin nose and added some riveting on the fuselage to cope with the one existing on the nose.
I should be able to post some pictures by the end of the day.
Alberto

Here are the pictures I promised, riveting on fuselage is hard to see

DSCN0756.JPG
DSCN0757.JPG
DSCN0758.JPG

I also spent some time improving the wheel bays

DSCN0760.JPG

Alberto

Do you want make the riveting on entire fuselage and the wings?
do you need a riveting plan?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back