Achtung Mosquito!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mosquito, 109K-4, Dora-9 and the 190A-7 which is on ice for the moment because it kept annoying me....:lol:
Trying to figure out a good way to mask the 109, to give it some camouflage, but that's another thread! :lol: :lol:

Ah! Jeg verstore! Make it sky I think - better to have it running the Gauntlett across that icy sea in daylight, don't you know!?

Well, trying to smooth things (the wingtips) out before paint and was wondering about this wee part...
It comes molded in clear plastic, should it be kept clear or glued in, sanded smooth and painted over on a BOAC Mosquito?

DSCF0011-7.jpg

If you mean the hatch on the belly, it should have a circular, clear centre. This was a recognition lamp which, I think, was standard on all models. I'll check my scale drawings and let you know. For now, mask the centre, to keep it clear, and carry on with the painting; it can always be painted over later.
How to mask? Punch-out a disc from adhesive labels, or even paper, which can be held in place by PVA. The 'normal' sized office paper punch is ideal!

Checked the drawings and, as far as I can make out, the signal lamp was certainly there on the BIV and FBVI, and also up to the B/PRXVI at least. There should also be two, smaller I.D. lamps further to the rear, on the port side, one behind the other, which I added to my Airfix 1/48th Mossies, by reaming/drilling a small indent for each, and filling with Kristal Klear. I seem to remember doing this after I'd painted the darned things! The drawings I have are to 1/24th scale - don't know where the smaller scale ones have gone - so I'll see if I can fold them in order to scan the required area, and post them up later, re-scaled if possible. BTW, you don't really need to paint the inside of the lamp transparency, as I believe this was also used for a strike camera port, and would appear 'dark' from the outside.

Here you go Jan. The reproduction isn't brilliant, as the original is a 30 year old 'diazo' print, but it should give you the idea. This is as near as I could get to 1/48th scale for on-screen presentation, and note that the two lights are shown as though 'looking through' the fuselage. They were on the PORT underside - the drawing is a split image, half top, half bottom view, which is easier to understand if you had the full drawing of course!
To add these lights, ream or drill just enough to add the countersink of the 'holes' - dont go all the way through the plastic, as you won't be able to blank-off the holes, now that the fuselage is assembled. It only needs about 1mm depression anyway, just to give the effect. As far as I know, the lamps were green and red, but these might have been coloured bulbs, so a 'silver' colour would suffice, topped with either Kristal Klear or gloss varnish. It would be best to do the painting/glazing after the final clear coat, then you won't have to mask such a small area. It can be done, and does work, honest!

Attachments

• UHU 006.jpg
    UHU 006.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 63

Users who are viewing this thread

Back