Airfix 1/24 scale Bf109E.....or a bed of thorns

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

THX...

Having exhaust pipes coloured I added exhaust stains. Just used a black paint.These stains on port side didn't appear what I could be glad with .So I put it away untill the next day when I corrected it. Also I added some weathering to the engine cowling.Nothing major but made it a little bit dirty.

Attachments

• ok1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 455
  • ok2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 273
  • ok2a.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 280
  • ok3.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 278
Appreciate..THX.

The next step was to remove all dust from the model ( I did it using quite "thick" brush). And then I applied a semi-gloss dope overall. Unfortunately my air comprssor "said no" again .I was very glad it happened almost at the end of airbrushing.So I could finish applying at least.

Attachments

• la1.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 262
  • la1a.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 246
  • la1b.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 271
  • la1c.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 272
I have already ordered a new compressor Terry. It should be in my hands soon.

Waiting for drying of the coat I removed masking from cockpit central hood.

Oh.. and left home for a few pints.

Attachments

• cc2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 470
  • cc1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
Because there weren't any braces there. In fact the side windows consisted of two parts. The first one ( front , longer slightly ) was movable going back and forward and the second half was fixed.

Attachments

• cockpit brace.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 274
  • cockpit brace1.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Nice work on the canopy frames my friend. The 'square' canopy is a sod to do on this kit, due to the 'soft' moulding of the frames. I've re-painted mine four times so far !
Glenn, the central frame didn't appear until the heavier canopy on the 'G' series, as seen in the BoB movie (Buchon's are G2 airframes).

Because there weren't any braces there. In fact the side windows consisted of two parts. The first one ( front , longer slightly ) was movable going back and forward and the second half was fixed.
Isn't that an early Betty Boop on the lower pic?
Where's Maria?

Isn't that an early Betty Boop on the lower pic?
Where's Maria?

I'm not a fan of Mickey Mouse. I prefer Donald Duck..

In pics below ...the first coat of a Humbrol Gloss Cote applied. Because my compressor was still striking I had to use a brush.

Attachments

• lka1b.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 261
  • lka1a.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 251
  • lka1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 250
I have another question on the side window. I understand that they came in two parts and the front one slid back some but wouldn't there be some sort of felt stuck there between the windows to act as insulation and to prevent the front widow from scratching the other window as it slid back? It would appear that there is in the photographs and that it is white in color. There seems to also be another line of white toward the back where the other end of the window would sit if it was fully pushed back. Is that right?

I don't think there was any kind of insulation neither for making the line hermetic nor preventing against scratching. But you are right.At many pictures the side lines seem to be white.But It might be a matter of a light.I think these appeared because both of the side glasses were fitted quite tight and it was difficult to clean these areas by maintenance teams. Simply there was some of dirt or dust. Look at these pics below. Can you see..? In fact the areas were semi-transparent but also these were clean and transparent fully. Also we should remeber that these conopy glasses weren't too thin actually. Have you ever seen two squares of Plexiglas (PMMA) put one on the another. I have seen....it looks exactly like these lines on the cockpit side windows.Especially if their edges are matt but not polished.

Attachments

• Bf109E conopy3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 270
  • Bf109E conopy3a.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 266
  • Bf109E conopy3b.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 268
  • Bf109E conopy3c.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread