Airfix 1/24 scale Bf109E.....or a bed of thorns (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Waiting for the final pics, Wojtek. I wonder if the man who came to pick up the model knows all the pure hell you went
through to deliver a perfect bf-109 to him ? Wonderful job, my friend...wonderful !

Charles

Thank you Charles. :D Appreciate.:D

Finally I could put her on legs.Then I applied a coat od the semi-gloss dope and removed the cockpit masking.Also I attached the central hood of the cockpit conopy.

Attachments

• cs2.jpg
    cs2.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 411
  • cs2a.jpg
    cs2a.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 420
  • cs2b.jpg
    cs2b.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 411
Fantastic work Wojtek, and i fully understood what you meant about the landing gear. The parts were deigned to be retractable and, due to the wear in the moulds over the years, don't 'sit' properly. That's one reason I built mine retracted, apart from the mis-moulded locating pegs.

Thank you Terry. I agree with you absolutely . I can tell you that my mate here , who was making the Airfix Hurricane simultaneously to me , has encountered truobles with the Hurricane landing gear as well. Also it seems that Spitfire has similar problems.

Last edited:
All of the Airfix 1/24th scale kits will have similar problems. They weren't perfect when first released, 40 years ago, but could easily be sorted if the landing gear was set in the down position, rather than be able to retract. But, now that the moulds have been well used, the parts are not as well defined, and need work to allow them to locate correctly, as you have discovered.
But, considering the age of these kits, they are still reasonably good today (apart from the rather high price, which is a bit steep for what's provided), and can make excellent display models with a bit of work.

Thank you all Gents. :D

And finally a few shots of the finished model. Having not much time for doing of something special I applied the semi-gloss dope again. Twenty minutes later the guy of the museum came and took the model away.

Attachments

• cf1d.jpg
    cf1d.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 445
  • cf1c.jpg
    cf1c.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 619
  • cf1b.jpg
    cf1b.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 428
  • cf1a.jpg
    cf1a.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 621
Thank you very much Wayne. Appreciate. :D

And the model ready for the transportation to the museum.

Attachments

• cf2.jpg
    cf2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 357
  • cf2a.jpg
    cf2a.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 369
  • cf2b.jpg
    cf2b.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 361

Users who are viewing this thread

Back