attack on Norway 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Junkers88A1

Staff Sergeant
Oct 22, 2008
Norway
www.ju88.net
well..this might be a crazy thing..and it sure will take a while.. but me and my friend has started on a new diorama..it will show Fornebu ( oslo Airport ) in april 1940 on the invasion of Norway.. it will include some 20 Junkers 52`s, 6 He 111, 6 Bf 110, 4 Ju 87, one burnt out Gloster gladiator and a lot more..
i have started with the burnt on Ju 52..
we could ofcourse add a lot more aicrfats but we dont have unlimetd space.. ( 4x2,5 m )
so we have decided to go for the part of the airfield with most action.. we have several hundred pictures so we know what to build and where to put them ( included two He 111 that has overshoot the runway, two bellylanded Ju52 ( got their legs torn of ) one burnt out Ju52 and more :)

here is my first test..it need more work and details..but its a start..and my friend has started on two He 111 P versions..

this will all be in 1:72

note the oversized balkencrosses on the burnt out Ju 52

any comments..good or bad is welcome :)

Attachments

• fornebu 001.jpg
    fornebu 001.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 412
  • fornebu 002.jpg
    fornebu 002.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 352
  • burnt out JU 52, Fornebu 1940.JPG
    burnt out JU 52, Fornebu 1940.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 391
  • utbrent Ju 52 på Fornebu. legg merke til de overdimensjonerte korsene på vingene..JPG
    utbrent Ju 52 på Fornebu. legg merke til de overdimensjonerte korsene på vingene..JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 332
some more pics of what we are planning to make..
if you look closely you will see another He 111 in the background of the one up close that has run of the runway

the Ju 52 model is something i started on yesterday so i know it still has a long way to go to look like the pictures :oops:

Attachments

• any landing you can walk away from...JPG
    any landing you can walk away from...JPG
    30 KB · Views: 347
  • to kjente flyvrak på fornebu 10. april.JPG
    to kjente flyvrak på fornebu 10. april.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 406
Ambitious plan my friend and one which progress I will fallow with great interest. And I'm sure I won't be the only one... The burnout Ju 52 looks convincing. Did you actually burn the model?
Wish you luck with your project.

thanks.. it will be a longrunning project..but it will be fun doing..and did actually burn the model..after i had chopped it to bits..the scratcbuild some parts and burned some more.. :)

Great work Mr.G! That's one heck of a project you've got going there, on top of all the others! I'm going to have to come to the museum to see it when it's finished. How many ...er..years from now?!!

thanks .. i am my own worst critic so i hardely ever get pleased with my own models.. but we hope to get thsi diorama done during the winter..will be a long project on top of all the others..so it will take the tiem it takes.. but its always something else popping up here and there so the models will be done when time permits..and its fun making dioramas..so we hope to have it done by spring next year :) but its a awful lot of kits to build and thinsg to scrathbuild on the airfield..so who knows when its done

here is afew more shoots of what we are planning to build.. so as you see it will eb a long build :)

Attachments

• fornebu 9 april 001.jpg
    fornebu 9 april 001.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 348
  • fornebu 9 april 002.jpg
    fornebu 9 april 002.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 350
  • fornebu 9 april 003.jpg
    fornebu 9 april 003.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 312
  • fornebu 9 april 005.jpg
    fornebu 9 april 005.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 361
:)

i am planning on doing all the squadrons that took place in the invasion..Kg 4 and Kg 100 with heinkels, several different squadrons with Ju 52.. I gruppe 76 with Me 110`s and so on..i have managed thru pictures to find all the correct fuselagecodes that i will use on the models.. so the codes you see on the pics will also be on the models.. will post pictures as i go.. but it will take some time making a whole airport. lol
also planning to make KLM`s Dc-3 that was located at the airport the same moring..and also a norwegian Ju 52 that the germans captured.. so its a pretty big project but i think the end resault will be good :)

as you see i have already started with the burnt out 52..and my friend is good on its way with two He 111.. also started cutting out the landscape at the museum.. just big plates of styrfoam at the moment.. working on some aerial maps that i will scale down so the runways and landscpe gets correct :)

when looking at the picture i just took i see the left wall need "trimming" :) been adding some more details now..but now its bedtime :)

Attachments

• Ju 52 model.jpg
    Ju 52 model.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 338
when looking at the picture i just took i see the left wall need "trimming" been adding some more details now..but now its bedtime

That was my thought as well and it still looks alittle like melted plastic (sorry) the wings and tail look fine.I do not know maybe thin down the sides? a little more framing?Then again how far is the viewer?I looked again the thinning is one part even at the tail,what is metal looks gently layed over.Could there be a way of using aluminum cans for some of the siding on this one?You know maybe wrapping under the fuselage then on the inside were metal and pastic meet some filler?That way if you kink the metal it makes a hard crease not a gentle slope.Just tring to be objective and help(maybe?).Cheers Kevin

and that is some good ideas javlin.. i also think it loos to much melted plastic here and there. so i will try some of your ideas on that :) and the burnt out gladiator will be a big challenge.. think i need to scratchbuild most of it.. but it will be lots of fun building :)

need to run to the hobbyshop..out of superglue..hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back