Australian warship apprehends Somali Pirates

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It was great that they were able to stop the attack, but I am still irked at the policies for these pirates.
"The boarding party was instructed to disarm the suspect pirates and confiscate their lethal military weapons,'' he said. Once that was done, the Australians confirmed that the launch had enough food, water and fuel to make it home to Somalia," Commander Ingham said.

Great, a slap on the hand and send them home. Guess what? They'll get home, rearm and try again, especially once they realize that the worst punishment they will get is having their weapons confiscated. This isn't a knock on the Aussies, but the whole international community for being soft on these criminals. They wonder why it keeps happening, yet they aren't doing a thing to punish these thugs.

Not pirates, eh? :lol: The automatic weapons were nothing more than "chemically-fueled barnacle removers", and that's not an RPG, its a shark-repellent system. So yeah....they're innocent.:rolleyes:

Great job, to all nations involved! :occasion5:

Or you kill all but one of them and send the survivor back to tell his buddies that we aren't fooling around anymore. The next one that gets caught will be sunk without mercy and those aboard will feed the sharks. This doesn't show mercy on the sole survivor, but proves out that they are being dealt with. If no one comes back, they won't know for sure what happened.

Can someone help me with some history of naval law? I had the impression that many laws of the open sea are rooted in relatively old maritime laws and customs and probably with good reason. The captain of the vessel would have to be empowered to make difficult decisions to protect his vessel and the lives of his crew (and cargo too) when they are threatened. It is disheartening that modern treaties have apparently disarmed cargo vessels in the interests of maintaining their neutrality. But when a warship on the open sea has obvious and compelling evidence of piracy (mayhem, kidnapping, murder, extortion and all that); aren't there international maritime laws that would at least give them the right to impose justice right then and there. Or better still if their were maritime law that compelled them to impose justice.
I used to have a canoe on a small river in the mountains and I've done my share of skinny-dipping at the beach but that is the extent of my knowledge of watercraft and the open sea. :)
I even missed "Talk Like a Pirate Day" last week.
Derek

Under International law of the sea, apprehending these guys before they got a chance to hurt anyone means they are not guilty of a crime. However, the fact thet they had taken weapons into international waters, means that the Australians were entitled to confiscate the weapons.

If this happens enough times, it will become uneconomic for the terrorists to do this. At the moment the odds are heavily in favour of the terrorists. The shipping companies are willing to pay huge ransoms to save their ships and their crews, and this tends to encourage the gangs to be even more audacious.

I actually dont agree that the actual crews should be killed. If you do that you are actually making them local heroes. If you lock them up, they proabably would thank you, because at least they will get three good meals a day. The real nasty guys never leave home. To really knock these organzations around, you have to go to the source....and that is a big investment of men and material, as we know from the last foray into Somalia.

Ive been on a one or twenty of these boarding paities. You get really pumped, and if the litle f*ckers show even the smallest sign of resistance they are fish bait basically.

Last edited:
Can someone help me with some history of naval law? I had the impression that many laws of the open sea are rooted in relatively old maritime laws and customs and probably with good reason. The captain of the vessel would have to be empowered to make difficult decisions to protect his vessel and the lives of his crew (and cargo too) when they are threatened. It is disheartening that modern treaties have apparently disarmed cargo vessels in the interests of maintaining their neutrality. But when a warship on the open sea has obvious and compelling evidence of piracy (mayhem, kidnapping, murder, extortion and all that); aren't there international maritime laws that would at least give them the right to impose justice right then and there. Or better still if their were maritime law that compelled them to impose justice.
I used to have a canoe on a small river in the mountains and I've done my share of skinny-dipping at the beach but that is the extent of my knowledge of watercraft and the open sea. :)
I even missed "Talk Like a Pirate Day" last week.
Derek

It okay to carry weapons on a cargo ship on the high seas, but problems arise if that ship tries to enter the territorial waters of another nation. If a war breaks out, a nation has the right to arm its ships, and to take steps to control the movement of ships into waters declared a combat zone. In WWII all oceanswere a combat zone, thanks to the activities of the German raiders, and the British enforced the provisions of her netrality act, which legitimized her right to stop, search and apprehend any vessel they deemed necesary. Most of the Axis ships caught overseas, avoided being sunk by seeking internship in a neutral port....usually the US. I dont know what happened to these ships after the entry of the US, but I suspect they became war booty

While I'd love to see the pirates tied to the anchor chain, then dropped, unfortunately I think if we were more ruthless with the pirates, that doing that may cause a ripple affect making the pirates more ruthless.

I think they should be arrested and taken away for about 10 - 15 years, not have their toys taken away and released.

Lock em up, agreed. But send one back (minus hands....) to spread the word. Who thought it was smart to say that just because nobody had been hurt, that the military couldn't take action? The guys had frikkin weapons IN THEIR BOAT. They weren't looking to take a vacation on a Princess Cruise, that's for sure.

They should question the effers, find out who they ultimately work for...publicize the fact that ____ (insert Big Boss name here) sent out a pirate raiding party....then frag ____ for doing so. Word will get around that pirates are captured/capped/incarcerated, and their bosses are skragged. I'm sure there's commando teams around the globe that would line up to do some skragging...

Thanks for the information, parsifal! This is an interesting discussion and I'm re-thinking my initial reaction that immediate retaliation is the answer. If this were to cause the pirates to become ever more ruthless and bloodthirsty..what would become of a ship that did not have the means to defend itself?
Derek

Or...

Come in from underneath them in a sub and quietly conduct "interdiction"...

No media, no "fanfare", no survivors, no wreckage or remains. Simply nothing to be seen anywhere...

They just "disappeared" without a trace.

* I might add that the old laws regarding Piracy was to be hung by the neck until dead, and the bodies are to remain at thier gallows until which time the laws of nature released them from thier "holdings" and the remains were to be buried away from God-Fearing people in unmarked graves. *

Last edited:
...which did nothing to stop the serious pirates, but probably kept those with moral delimmas from straying over the wrong side of the line. There will always be those who have no regards to the laws, morals, and civilities of man. But anything to help cut their recruitment efforts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back