Avenger II, 857 Squadron, FAA, HMS Indomitable, December 1944, Group Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Cory. Yep, be prepared for problems! I reckon it should go in, afterall, the kit is designed so that the turret fits in after the fuselage is joined, and the AM instructions do hint that it might be 'tricky', but I'm a bit concerned that the delicate canopy will crack, or worse. Not looking forward to that part at all!
BTW, watch the kit decals - they're OK, but the backing sheet, and the carrier film, are as sticky as a sticky thing on a sticky day, in a sticky place! The paper has a tendency to want to curl as you're trying to slide the decal off the sheet, and the sheet wants to stick to the model! It'll be essential to use Micro Sol, otherwise they'll look rough textured. Once they've set, you might think they have 'silvered', but if they're done properly, it should only be the matt carrier film that's showing, and this will disappear with the clear coat application. It'll be best to seal them with gloss before doing the matt clear coat.

Nope. The turret glass has to be attached and glued to the turret basket, that's the main bit, with the seat, gun mount etc. It's supposed to then be inserted sideways, in other words at a 90 degree angle to the fore and aft, so that the lugs on the turret ring drop into the slots in the mounting plate, already glued into the assembled fuselage. Then it's turned to face aft.
The shape of the 'glass' canopy is correct, and will be ok once inside the fuselage, the problem is, getting the b***er in! The base of the 'glass' is wider than the top of the opening! How the holy moley it's supposed to be done f*** knows!
I was intending to fit it last, but I'm going to have to attempt it before the landing gear and everything else goes on, otherwise all the fiddling will cause lots of damage to the sticky-out bits!
Hopefully, I'll find a way, and let you know how to do it.
Watch this space - closely!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back