Bf 109G-14 U-2 Gruppe Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sanding, sanding, and more sanding! The seams are getting close. I took my silver paint pen and painted the seams. I have more work to do. When I get a bit farther, I will dig the camera out.

I lived at Pruem Air Station north of Bitburg Air Base for 3 years, 1980 to 1983. This area is very heavy pine forest. So it is possible for a Bf-109 to have crashed in these woods and still remain unfound. I heard stories of a P-51 canopy being out in the woods a few miles from the Air Station. I never saw it.

I can see why the Allies twice thought that these woods were impossible for heavy armor to go through. I have included a picture of me atop the remains of one of the many German WWII bunkers that are all around the Air Station. This bunker was blown up by the French after the war. I did find one that still had the roof damaged, but intact. Inside I saw a "live" 88mm projectile. Outside I found a mortar round. So you had to be careful!

Bill G.

Attachments

• Me on WWII Bunker 1981 downsized.jpg
    Me on WWII Bunker 1981 downsized.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 61
Short update.

I think I am finally as happy as I will be with all of the puttied seams. I saw a seam gap in one wings leading edge. The putty is in, now to sand it out. Once I get the horizontal stabilizers on, I will take some pictures. So all I need to do it put on a few other parts and she will be ready to paint.

I did a check yesterday on the paints I have to those I need. OOPS! I was short two colors! So I had to go into town anyways, so I got the RLM 74 79 that is needed. And I got the RLM 83 for the 262.

Bill G.

I will try to post a few pictures of the model and the suggested cammo scheme on Friday. I want to glue on the horizontal stabilizers before the pictures.

The RLM 79 is a single cammo band on the rear fuselage just ahead of the tail section. It is a most unique Luftwaffe cammo. That is why I like doing Luftwaffe Aircraft. They had a great many variations of color schemes.

Bill G.

I will try to post a few pictures of the model and the suggested cammo scheme on Friday. I want to glue on the horizontal stabilizers before the pictures.

The RLM 79 is a single cammo band on the rear fuselage just ahead of the tail section. It is a most unique Luftwaffe cammo. That is why I like doing Luftwaffe Aircraft. They had a great many variations of color schemes.

Bill G.

Bill what you're describing as an RLM79 band is more likely to be the RLM04 Yellow Defence of the reich band of JG11 I think?

Bill what you're describing as an RLM79 band is more likely to be the RLM04 Yellow Defence of the reich band of JG11 I think?

You are right on the yellow band for JG11. The RLM 79 is a cammo band on the fuselage that starts just aft of the RDF antenna and ends before the yellow band. I will take a picture of the box art later today. Maybe that will clear things up a bit!

Bill G.

I spent some time glueing things on the model like the covers over the exhaust, the supercharger air intake, the covers for the nose guns and the horizontal stabilizers. So now it looks like a 109. And I see I have some more work to do.

I then took pictures of the 109 and the box. Picture 2 is the paint scheme I will be doing.

I had to do some digging to find the parts sprue. I finally found those, but no canopy! Yikes! So I dug and dug and finally found it. Of course it was the last place I looked. So along with the canopy and a few other parts from the Red 13 262 got the bath in Future floor wax.

That is all drying now.

So off to work on the 262 for a while.

Bill G.

Attachments

• 109-10.jpg
    109-10.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 109-11.jpg
    109-11.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 109-12.jpg
    109-12.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 109-13.jpg
    109-13.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 109-14.jpg
    109-14.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 109-15.jpg
    109-15.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 65
Ok Bill now I understand where the 79 comes from, don't agree with it though, found a profile in one of my Polish books "Bodenplatte" with that exact camo ...so who copied who I wonder?

784765 was built by Messerschmitt Regensberg (Mtt. Reg.) the most likely colour combo is RLM75/83/76, high demarcation line of the pattern on the fuselage and mottle down the sides....will post up a pattern tomorrow.

I agree with Wayne.The main problem with the kit is that it is quite old Smer one.Although they re-issued it with a new box the camo pattern is still the same like it was several years ago.Anyway, the model can be really nice with some sanding and putty.Keep us updated Bill. :D

Here ya go Bill, 75/83/76....the 81 was on the vertical tail only....hope this helps.

Attachments

• Bf109G-14 78XXXX Camo_aa.JPG
    Bf109G-14 78XXXX Camo_aa.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Bf109G-14 78XXXX_Camo_bb.JPG
    Bf109G-14 78XXXX_Camo_bb.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 93
Wayne:

Thanks! I see one problem between the scheme you so kindly sent and the box art. Mine is for Blue 11 and yours is White 6. I wonder if the camo was changed between the two.

I would like to hear your thoughts.

Bill G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back