Bf 109G-14 U-2 Gruppe Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bill G.

Banned
Jan 26, 2009
Plainwell, MI
This is my first group build here. This is the start of a huge new adventure in modeling. An INTERNATIONAL group of experts watching! I know, NO PRESSURE!

This is the 1/72 kit by SMER from Russia.

As you can see I have already started this kit. It started well, but I put it a side until now. The kit has a terrible fit problem between the aft bottom of the wing and the fuselage. I have added some scrap plastic to help give me something to work with.

The kit paint scheme is rather unique as you will see, I hope.

I have done 1/72 Bf-109 G-10 and K-4. So this will fit right in the middle!

Bill G.

Attachments

• 109-1.jpg
    109-1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 109-3.jpg
    109-3.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 155
  • 109-2.jpg
    109-2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 137
  • 109-4.jpg
    109-4.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 153
Looking good so far Bill. Could do with a few details about the unit etc being modelled. BTW, thanks, I always wondered where SMER kits came from!

Looking good so far Bill. Could do with a few details about the unit etc being modelled. BTW, thanks, I always wondered where SMER kits came from!

First a correction. SMER is NOT Russian. SMER is made in the Czech Republic. I am sorry for the error!

The box says 8./JG 11. The pilot is listed as Ofw. Franz Meindl. The scheme is said to be for Operation Bodenplatte. The work number is 784765.

I hope to do some work on this and the 262 this weekend. Right now it will be a busy day today and Saturday. I have to take Mom for a Doctor Appointment, then pick up my girlfriend, then drop the ladies off here and THEN go to my model RR Club to help load stuff for Saturday. Saturday, my girlfriend and I will be going to Napanee, IN for a train show. We will be manning the club table, running trains on our club's portable layout and shopping. So maybe a bit late Saturday and then Sunday.

Bill G.

Yep it is true.Smer comes from Czech Republic and is one of the oldest firms here in the Middle Europe.Kits of the firm aren't as good as these of newer manufacturers but still nice.I have also a few of them sitting in my stash.

Keep working Bill.G.:)

The box says 8./JG 11. The pilot is listed as Ofw. Franz Meindl. The scheme is said to be for Operation Bodenplatte. The work number is 784765.

I'm curious if Smer has this info confirmed. I didn't find any photos of that crate but Eric Mombeek's site describes it as G-14/AS:confused:

I'm curious if Smer has this info confirmed. I didn't find any photos of that crate but Eric Mombeek's site describes it as G-14/AS:confused:

I haven't found any pictures of Blue 11 yet myself. Blue 11 is the code on the 109. Hey, at least it is confirmed to be a G-14. I haven't gone through everything yet in the library either.

If you find out anything I am sure you will post it!

Thanks for the help. Dang, I wish I had had a site like this when I started modeling over 40 years ago!

Bill G.

I haven't found any pictures of Blue 11 yet myself. Blue 11 is the code on the 109. Hey, at least it is confirmed to be a G-14. I haven't gone through everything yet in the library either.

If you find out anything I am sure you will post it!

Thanks for the help. Dang, I wish I had had a site like this when I started modeling over 40 years ago!

Bill G.

Well, the thing is that G-14 and G-14/AS have some major differences. Maybe you would like to make other, confirmed G-14?
I know a few which are covered by decals in 1/72 scale and I can help you
if you want.

Regards,
Maciej

Bill G.

The detail is correct, he was flying a G-14 Blue 11, and was an experienced schwarmfuhrer in 8/JG11, Meindl is still listed as MIA after the Bodenplatte mission.

Update on Bf-109G-14 Blue 11.

I worked on the fit between the wings and fuselage. I got it the best I could and glued them together with liquid cement. Then I used black electrical tape to mask the wings. I then used Squadron Green Stuff to fill the seams at the front of the wing/fuselage on the bottom, the upper wing/fuselage, and rear of the wing on the bottom/fuselage on the sides and upper wings.

It will take a bunch of wet sanding to hopefully a good looking joints.

Sorry, no pictures yet. Once I get done sanding, I will post more pictures.

I have been reading the history of Blue 11 and find it interesting. I wonder if the wreckage of Blue 11 has ever been found? And why has the pilot's body seems to have never been recovered? Could it be that this board could track down the missing information? I am just wondering.

Bill G.

I don't think anything has turned up at this stage...the Bodenplatte book by John Manhro is the most comprehensive study of this event and makes no mention of him and his aircraft being identified to date..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back