Italeri Do217J-2 of NJG101 - Gruppe Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BombTaxi

Tech Sergeant
Nov 27, 2004
Barnsley, S. Yorks, UK
Righty then,

First off, I haven't completed a model since I was in primary school :oops: That said, I have have had fitful (if unsuccessful) attempts at modelling over about the last two years, and this group build (and all the talented folks behind it) has inspired me to try again, properly this time.

My entry will be Do217J-2 'KI+LV' of II/NJG101. The paint guide in the kit gives location/date as 'Hungary, 1944'. A little googling has revealed that II/NJG101 was based at Parndorf, in present-day Austria (Hungarian: Pándorfalu) between 13.05.1944 and c. 27.11.44, so the aircraft can be assumed to represent this period.

No progress to show as yet, the kit has been washed and I am off this weekend to buy RLM 75/76 paint - the paint scheme is RLM 76 fuselage with RLM 75 upper surfaces and fuselage band. With any luck, I will get under way this weekend with interior build, and will get some practice in with my new airbrush before having a crack at the model.

Like I say, I have never built a kit 'seriously' before, so any comments, criticism or advice will be most gratefully received. Piccies to follow as soon as work gets started 8)

BombT if I may

according to pics of the bird and also serving in 4./NJG 3 the A/C is overall very light in colour. My deceased cousin Hauptmann Hans Baer shot down at least 5 BC bombers flying one with his two man crew.

so in effect your efforts are going to be very dear to my heart. I still have only a very small pic of my cousin with his crew standing in front of the right tail and fuselage of their Do 217........it's a terribly small pic with not much in the way of any Dornier details sadly.

much success !

Hi BT. Great news that you're taking part! Thanks for the effort.
If you need any more photos, let me (us) know, and some will be 'dug out'.
If you can, try to post some progress pics, and don't be afraid to ask questions, especially about airbrushing, as this part is new to you. I'm sure people will be only to pleased to help.
As I see it, part of the underlying aim of the Group Build is to encourage and help people, and, of course, re-create a little part of history. Judging from Erich's comments, the latter is already being addressed in a personal way for one person at least.
Thanks Erich, much appreciated.
Terry.

I will try my best to do the subject some justice Erich 8) And thanks for the kind words all, as I have said before, I certainly have found this site an inspiration already - inspirational enough to get me into this build for starters!

One question I do have regards the colour of German cockpit interiors. I had supposed that they would be an 'interior green' shade, is this correct?

No BT, in the early years they were a variation of RLM04 grey. Later, as for your Dornier, they were a darker grey, the number of which escapes me at the moment. Some paint manufacturers have it under the name of 'German Grey', and it's not that far removed from the camouflage colour of RLM74. I'm sure one of the guys will tell you the correct RLM number/shade, but remember, in smaller scales such as 1/72nd, it's best to make it just a touch lighter in shade, to give a 'scale colour' effect, and not darken the interior too much.
If you have a look at the cockpit decking on Waynes FW190 in his 'Sticky' thread, or the cockpit of Dan's JV44 'Dora', that'll give you an idea of how it should look. If you're using Humbrol enamels, a fairly close match, in that scale, would be No27 Grey.

I believe you are correct guys it would be dark and simple based with nor reflectivity, remember this is for night fighters

looking forward to the build of the crate

To keep it simple a Dark Grey drybrushed with light Grey to bring out the hilights and tone down the darker colour....

Check page 6 7 of the Siegfried Baer 190 thread....

Right, I am actually working on this... 8)

No piccies as yet chaps, but the 'pit has been painted up in Tamiya XF-24 Dark Grey, and all bits assembled other than the column - I need to drill a hole for it, because there isnt one, then paint it black in situ. Instrument panel has also been painted black as the decal provided completely failed to stick to it. This isnt a big deal, as I am fairly sure the panel won't be visible once the canopy and dorsal turret are in.

Test fit of the fuselage halves last night revealed a gap in the belly large enough to fly a lanc through - this will be a filler job, and it looks like there will be some more work done around the nose, although it will all have to go together before I can see exactly how much needs to be done.

I also went out and got my camo colours yesterday, I have a choice of Tamiya XF-54 or Humbrol 140 for RLM 75, and settled on Revell 49 for RLM 76, as it was the closest I could get my hands on (I wanted Humbrol 175). I did contemplate ordering Lifecolor paints for both, but I refrained as I had to get them mail order, and the postage was more than the paints! Anyhow, as soon as the fuselage is together, I will post some piccies, including the dreaded gap, and then some once the paint is on!

Cheers,

Rich

Cheers chaps, the pain is going to be the RLM 76, the Revell 49 just won't cut it straight out of the tin, it's much closer to RLM 78. I am thinking of adding a drop of the Humbrol 140 to it for a more 'grey' effect.

Having said that, I think that Humbrol 140 is too light for RLM 75 anyway - I might just use the Tamiya XF-24 instead. I am basing my views on a very small profile of my subject on the box, an RLM paint list I found online, and the greyscale paint guide in the kit instructions. I am starting to appreciate even more the depth of knowledge Luftwaffe modelers need to have, and respect it even more! 8)

Rich sounds like you have access to tamiya paints do you feel like mixing the colours?

XF-24 is just not right...

I can give you my mixes for 75 and 76, again check the final pages of my Baer 190 build....:D

Rich if your budget can stretch it, check out WEM's site, they do all RLM colours (enamels) and they're accurate. Very fast dispatch too. looking forward to some pics! :)

Looking forward to the pics too. And Rich, Xtracolor do the full range of RLM colours also, and they are in gloss enamel, specifically designed to be ready for decals when dry. They also do some, such as interior colours, in matt. They are sold in the UK via Hannants.

Does anyone know if the Aeromaster RLM range is still available anywhere? I read they wound up years ago, which is a shame, they were great paints for brushing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back