CF-5A Freedom Fighter Kitbashed 1/48 Monogram F-5E

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice catch Andy. Pity you can't get a hold of the Esci F5E (I think Italeri also released this samne kit, possibly still around), as it's got some great detail parts which, mixed with the Monogram, can make a great model.

I can't believe they molded the fuselage without the supersonic taper to it. That's going to be a lot of work Andy. Great choice and if you need any I may have some in a book I've got entitled Northrop Volume44 F-5/F-20/T-38, from the Warbird TECH series. But it sounds like you've got it pretty well covered. Can't wait to see this done.:thumbright::cool:

Thanks ABW. Not sure what you mean but the Italeri kit does have the taper. So does the Monogram, just not underneath which I think is correct for the F-5E's wider fuselage. I've got tons of reference shots of the CF-5 so I'm good. Now if you had a couple of spare peanut tanks around, that would be good!

Terry, alas I did not see the Esci kit in the swap room. I've probably thrown enough cash at this project now so I'll go with what I have now [donations weelcome of course!]

Nice catch Andy. Pity you can't get a hold of the Esci F5E (I think Italeri also released this samne kit, possibly still around), as it's got some great detail parts which, mixed with the Monogram, can make a great model.

Andy, there's an ESCI F-5E on E-bay if you are interested:

NEW~ESCI/ERTL F-5E Tiger Dog-Fighter Part# 8208-241 - eBay (item 170491356499 end time Jun-02-10 07:22:23 PDT)

And a Monogram one as well - the asking price on this one is next to nothing:

1/48 Monogram F-5E Freedom Fighter - eBay (item 120576784501 end time Jun-06-10 08:17:17 PDT)

Perhaps you could kitbash them for the needed tanks?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks Dwight. I already have the Monogram kit and have been unable to confirm whether or not the Esci kit has the tanks. There's an old Fujimi one that I believe does have them but it has scale issues.

I've resolved to making some resin tanks using a shaped wooden dowel as the master.

Classic Airframes do a 1/48 F-5; I don't know much about it except that it's a fairly recent (last 2 or 3 years) release. Might be a better starting point than the other available kits.

It sure would be better, Mike thanks. Heck, I could chuck both kits I have, spend another 50 bucks and get that one as it's fully detailed with resin cockpit, wheel well, etc! No bashing necessary.

This all started because I had an ancient Monogram F-5E that I bought in the 1980s and never built. I'm now going to use the Testors kit as a base and raid the Monogram one for detail parts, making home made tanks from resin. I'm keen to try it.

Andy, have you seen the new issue (July 2010) of Scale Aircraft Modelling, it's main feature article is on the CF-5A complete with profiles, 1/48 scale drawing and service history.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Oops, missed this post. Been away from my work and the forums for a bit working on projects around the house.

Vic, thanks for the tip! I have not seen this issue but will skip over to the book store tomorrow to pick it up.

While I'm at it, I'll post a few pics of what I've been up to. My first priority has been to make a master for my resin wing tanks. With thanks to Terry, here's a detail scale drawing of the odd shaped tank to show the challenge invovled. The tank, while circular in section all along the length, has a taper in the center but the circular section here is offset from the centerline so that the outside edge of the tank remains straight in plan but there is a pronounced 'dent' in the inside edge.

100703 Wing Tank Scale Dwg.jpg

Using wood as my master, I started by cutting the taper with a scroll saw in the plan and elevation views as shown below.

100703 Wing Tank from Block 1.jpg

100703 Wing Tank from Block 2.jpg

The resulting master, seen here, did not turn out as good as I'd hoped as it was very difficult to achieve the circular section this way. The shape was, however pretty close.

100703 Wing Tank from Block 3.jpg

I then came up with the idea to improvise a lathe with an electric drill and, using a dowel as my blank, turned another tank using a file:

100703 Wing Tank in Drill.jpg

After hollowing the center section to the required diameter, I removed the piece and built up the offset circle using wood filler, shown here before sanding.

100703 Wing Tank in Drill with Filler.jpg

The wood filler will dry over night and then get sanded to shape tomorrow. I also started on the instrument panel and general cockpit area and will post some pics tomorrow.

Cheers for now.

Great work on the wooden drop tanks Andy. You'll be making all wooden aircraft models in no time. :D:thumbright:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back