DH Vampire FB5. No.112 Squadron 2nd TAF RAF Jever Germany 1952 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The azure blue was normally used in the desert camouflage scheme and was where 112 squadron became famous with their sharks mouth markings on their Kittyhawks and Warhawks

Yep, the blue was used after a series of trials, to establish an effective camouflage colour for high altitude operations, particularly with RAF Germany, as the 'High Speed Silver' flashed and reflected in certain conditions, revealing location. The blue, also used on RAF and RAFG Sabres, was specially formulated for high-speed flight, and was used in conjunction with new, smoother, upper surface camouflage paints. The scheme, though, was relatively short lived.

Made a start on the decals today, even after 3 sprayed coats of future they are still silvered in places but hopefully this will be cured by another coat of future to seal them in which I may brush on to get thicker coverage . Not looking forward to the rest of the underside numerals as they will have to go on when the landing gear is in place and the "5" comes in five separate bits! I may see how the gear doors fit before gluing them to the oleos as that way it will be easier to get the 5 to fit properly
Aircraft037.jpg

Aircraft038.jpg

Aircraft039.jpg

Looking great Lewis. It's best to drop the gear doors in place, holding them inside with a spot of plasticine or Blu-Tac, then apply the decals, cutting them when set and clear coated.

Yep that's the plan Terry, now I've reread my previous post I see I didn't make that clear enough:oops:

Thanks for the kind words folks
Got the numerals on without too much drama just a case of taking it slow and getting it right before moving on to the next one, and am quite chuffed with the results. Will let them set and give them a dose of future tomorrow night
Aircraft040.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back