**** DONE: 1/12 Art Chester Racer - From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Got some more done on the Racer, this afternoon. Also broke the trailing edge of the port wing. It's been fixed, and a couple of the pic's show the process. I just covered and watered it down, and it's drying inside. Also got the wheel pants (spats for you blokes) on. Bill... take note. I am forced to use the wooden wheels (see post #1). I cannot find a rubber tyre (rhymes with wyre) the necessary thin-ness.

As soon as the port wing dries, and I get some 50/50 dope on it, I am ready to paint !! Wednesday is suppose to be in the high 60's (F). That would be a good day to paint, methinks.

Oh... I need advise and council. What color (is that colour ?) should I paint the prop ? How about the tips of the prop ?
The poll is open....

Will RAF interior green be ok for the inside of the cockpit or would your prefer zinc cromate green ??? Or black ??

Pic's of the progress:

Charles

Attachments

• DSCN0116.JPG
    DSCN0116.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN0118.JPG
    DSCN0118.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN0119.JPG
    DSCN0119.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN0120.JPG
    DSCN0120.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN0117.JPG
    DSCN0117.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Looking nicely. :thumbright:

As far as the prop is concerned... these I have seen via the net seem to be of silver ( aluminuim) colour. No additional markings there.

The broken trailing edge of the port wing has been repaired. Here's before and after. The repaired section does not have any clear dope on it.

Also noticed I have a severe warp problem in both wings. Time to break out the old steam kettle.

Charles

Attachments

• DSCN0116.JPG
    DSCN0116.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN0125.JPG
    DSCN0125.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 73
Got a real serious warp problem with the wings of the Racer. Used the steam kettle on them today and hope it will straighten them out. Of course, I had to poke my thumb thru the wet tissue ! The wings will not get painted tomorrow, maybe the fuselage and tail. Pic's later....

Charles

The broken trailing edge of the port wing has been repaired. Here's before and after. The repaired section does not have any clear dope on it.

Also noticed I have a severe warp problem in both wings. Time to break out the old steam kettle.

Charles

Ahoy Charles
Looking darm good shipmate I love those old balsa kits thye have their own glamor of model aviation at its best Hey Charles instead of useing Clear dope on the tissue go to the hardware store and buy a can of Krylon clear this is magic in a can shrink the tissue first with denatured alcahol and then spray the tissue with krylon it will give the tissue a shiney finish and it woint shrink in time causing your wings to turn into a propeller. Hardy Well Done.

Boats

You're doing well Charles and well make a repairman of you yet. Also like that hint from Boats, talk about a couple of old dogs learning new tricks……………………………………..no offense meant…………really.

b0227.gif

Well.... the wings of the Racer did well with the steam routine. Both are nice and straight. However, they will need some repair. That's first on the agenda, today.

Charles

Attachments

• DSCN0127.JPG
    DSCN0127.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN0128.JPG
    DSCN0128.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 68

Users who are viewing this thread

Back