**** DONE: 1/48 A-4C Skyhawk-Mig Killer - Carrier Aircraft GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Username-Fubar57
Name-George
Category-Intermediate
Scale-1/48
Manufacturer-Hobbycraft A-4B Kit #1433
Extras-None

EDIT #2 This is now going to be a build of an aircraft(A-4B) representing another aircraft(A-4C) that did the actual shoot-down.

This kit is from Hobbycrafts A-4 family. I was just going to build it and then decided to see if I could find any info on the U.S. Navy version on the decal sheet. From the excellent web-site,
A-4 Skyhawk Association | A-4's Forever!, I found out that on May 1,1967, Lieutenant Commander Ted R. Swartz, USN in Douglas A-4C Skyhawk NP-685, BuNo 148609 of the VA-76 "Spirits" and flying from the USS Bon Homme Richard (CVA-31) shot down a MiG-17 over North Vietnam.
Basic Hobbycraft instruction with the main colors called out but you have to figure out the interior and ordnance colors. The clear parts look a little hazy and I've read that there is a profile issue. No big deal for me.
003.JPG

001.JPG

005.JPG

003.JPG

I'll use the decals from the Hobbycraft A-4C kit
004.JPG

Geo

EDIT: Just found this picture of the above aircraft as a presentation aircraft. The presentation aircraft is actually an A-4B. Going to P.G. tomorrow and I'm pretty sure there is a Hobbycraft A-4B model. This would fit in with my oddball schemes fetish. If the model is still there and it's OK with the Mods I would like to build this as an aircraft representing another aircraft. I'll post tomorrow night if I made the purchase. If not I'll go with Plan A. Thanks in advance for all the hassle I my incur.
2555393452_761bd22ff0_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If memory serves he lobbed a Zuni ground attack missle that cut the Mig clean in half.
Great choice for an interesting subject!
Interior of the cockpit is a dark gull grey with black IP and panels, the interior of the wheel wells is white with red on the edges of the covers, and typical ordinance (rocket pods) light gull grey, bombs are an olive green with yellow bands.

Thanks all. On my way to P.G. in a few minutes and might get something started when I return. Thanks for the info Paul and if your correct about the Zuni, I would have loved to have seen the look on the pilot's face after the Hail Mary lob shot.

Geo

Thanks all. On my way to P.G. in a few minutes and might get something started when I return. Thanks for the info Paul and if your correct about the Zuni, I would have loved to have seen the look on the pilot's face after the Hail Mary lob shot.

Geo
Yeah, had to have been sweet!
On May 1, 1967 LCDR T.R. Swartz shot down a N.V. Mig-17 with Zuni air to ground unguided missles. He was awarded the Silver Star.

If it pleases your Honors, I would like to replace the A-4C kit with the newly purchased A-4B kit for the reasons stated in my first post.
003.JPG

If someone could drop me an email as to what changes I will need to make in my post, it will be greatly appreciated and I'll get building.
Thank you,

Geo

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back