**** DONE: 1/48 Arado Ar 196A - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey, Guys,
Well, I have a decent start on the weathering and the floats on. A few more fiddly things to do:
* Aerials / Aerials wiring as needed
* Finish up float bracing
* Cannons
* Remainder of the fiddly bits (ladder struts, remainder of float braces, control surface counter wgts, pitot tube(s), etc)
* Remainder of canopy
* Final weathering - I am trying for a very "salty" look in the final weathering
* flat coat

Pics below:
AlmostDoneLeft.JPG

AlmostDoneFront.JPG

Last edited:
Looks really good Dale, I wanted to "salt" mine but was not sure on how to go about it. If you can please post some photos of the "Salting" I would really appreciate it for future reference

Looks really good Dale, I wanted to "salt" mine but was not sure on how to go about it. If you can please post some photos of the "Salting" I would really appreciate it for future reference

Hey, Mike,
I did not mean to indicate I was going to use the salting technique I have seen others do to get a chipped effect. I am going for most of a salt deposit effect on the finish, something that looks like a whitish deposit from saltwater spray on the bird. For that I am using a set of tamiya "pastels" that I found online. I like em. I used them heavily on my F4U biuld from GB 21.

Last edited:
Dale, My post was not clear. I wanted to do exactly what you stated, give the plane a whitish film as if salt water had dried on it not the chipped effect given by sprinkling salt crystal on it. I do my "chipping" effect with a prismacolor metallic silver pencil. Sorry to have been unclear.
Have never used pastels for anything so if possible could you please take pics as you do it.

Hey, Mike,
I will post the steps here. First picture is the Tamiya weathering sets I have. I like these and I find I get a very subtle effect to very heavy handed. As you can see, they each come with a sponge like application pad on one end and a fine, soft brush on the other. I tend to use the pad for the heavy handed things like exhaust staining and gun fire residue. I used the brush application side for all the salting effects.
PastelHowTo1.JPG

Hey, Mike,
I will post the steps here. First picture is the Tamiya weathering sets I have. I like these and I find I get a very subtle effect to very heavy handed. As you can see, they each come with a sponge like application pad on one end and a fine, soft brush on the other. I tend to use the pad for the heavy handed things like exhaust staining and gun fire residue. I used the brush application side for all the salting effects.
View attachment 271059

The next picture is picture is the plane as she was this morning. I wanted to go a little heavier in the inner wings and the fuse just forward of the windscreen. I wanted to go a little heavier with the salting in these areas.
PastelHowTo2.JPG

The next is a shot of the applicator with the sponge loaded up. I did not use this applicator. I just wanted to show it to you.

PastelHowTo3.JPG

Ok, this is the brush loaded up. This I did use.

PastelHowTo4.JPG

Note that the snow effect has been added with a rather heavy hand. One thing you need to be aware of is that the final clear coat will reduce the effect of the pastels. I had already shot one coat on and I was not happy with the reduced effect. Hence, this application.

PastelHowTo5.JPG

Lastly, here is the same shot after a fresh coat on clear flat. Here you can see the reduction of the effect after the clear coat.

PastelHowTo6.JPG

I hope this helps out, Mike.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back