**** DONE: 1/48 Arado Ar 196A - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey, Guys,
Well, I started working on getting the crosses off in prep for the new ones I am expecting in early next week. I sealed the fuse decals before I went to work on taking the crosses off the fuse. I masked off the cross and sealed the unit IDs under a nice coat of flat. I let the flat dry over night. I masked off the unit IDs and started slathering the crosses with solvaset to loosen the cross decals. They started coming up real nice. As I was slowly and carefully removing the tape, I bolluxed up the red B on one side and the black 7 on the other side. DAMNIT!!! I have been tearing up the web trying to find replacements with zero luck. So, I am reaching out to you all to see if anyone has any decals from the Italeri kit that would be willing to drop a single set of unit ID decals in the mail to me. Let me know what you want for them and I will gladly pay. Your consideration is kindly appreciated.

Or, a 1:1 scan of the unit markings would be a good fall back. I can try to make some decals on my printer (never done it though, hence my desire for the actual decal).

Sorry to hear about the mess up Dale. I have 2 pairs of red B's. One is edged in white 11mm tall x 9mm wide, The other is plain red 10mm tall x 7mm wide. I've got few 7's too. Send me the dimensions you need and I'll narrow it down.

Making decals is not hard and can be a useful skill at a time like this. These letters are home made:

120107 Side 2.jpg

Dale, I have the left-over decals from this kit but I used the same number/letter so no go sorry
PM Vic he has the same kit and used very few decals

Hay Dale, Mike is right, I have the same decals and not used so PM your address and email and I'll get them into the post Monday morning. You should have them within the week with luck.

Ok, guys, I am gonna push on with the 196 and get her down to awaiting the decals that Vic just sent from down under. I may need an extra day or three depending on the postal time for the decals to arrive. Is too early to run a brief extension request up the flag pole?
BTW, Vic, you da man!

Sorry to hear about the mess up Dale. I have 2 pairs of red B's. One is edged in white 11mm tall x 9mm wide, The other is plain red 10mm tall x 7mm wide. I've got few 7's too. Send me the dimensions you need and I'll narrow it down.

Making decals is not hard and can be a useful skill at a time like this. These letters are home made:

View attachment 270134

Andy, you are completely correct there. I need to get into making my own decals. I am just hesitant to invest in any software for a windoze PC as I will be getting a new macbook soon. I would rather invest in mac software versus windoze. Once I have the mac in my hands, I will start trying to figure out how to make decals myself. In fact, once I have it figured out, I will write a tutorial for new folks to use.

Hello, all,
Thanks for stopping in. I have the Arado exterior down to waiting on the decals Vic has put in the post. Hopefully early next week? In the mean time, I have been doing some more fiddly bit work. Not all of it as I will wait for the final decal handling before I finish aerials and such. But, I did decide to do the nav shelf under the radio gear. First pic is just the shelf with a couple of pieces of scrap paper and the various nav tools (compass, triangle, and straight edge). The second is with the radio gear placed just on top of the shelf, not yet glued. Hope to have this installed by tomorrow.

NavShelf.JPG

NavShelfWithRadio.JPG

Hey, guys,
Vic's decals just arrived. I will get the buggered up decals on tonight and get cracking on those final few fiddly bits. I should have this wrapped up by the end of the week. Vic, thank you very much for the save! You are a gentleman and a scholar..
Mike, you gotta love PE at times!

Hey, Don, the stripe was painted on last week. Someone please kick me firmly in the arse if I EVER say I am going to use a decal again.
Parsifal, the majority of the pain was self inflicted. The Italeri kit is decent except for the glass. I am not real thrilled with the scuffs those came with. Future helped but, it did not eliminate them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back