**** DONE: 1/48 Arado Ar 196A - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks good Dale but can't help with the gun bay, surfed the net and books for this info on my own build without an success.

Good luck with the job hunting as well.

Hey, Guys,
Thank you for all support with the job thing. I do appreciate the kind thoughts and words.

Ok, on the 196. I have side walls painted and dirtied up a bit. Floor is scuffed up and the radio panel is done and installed. I started on the seat assembly from the resin kit today. Damn, 18 or 19 pieces of damned tiny PE and resin with one PE piece already donated to the carpet god. I decided to do some scratch building along side the resin/PE as I am not that thrilled with the damned tiny PE attachment points for the seat. I am going to try and get a sturdier joints with some plastic rod AND PE versus just the PE. The scratch built rear frame is in white. The gray piece of sprue is the start of making up the PE replacement pieces for the initial attachment point for the seat.

Radio Panel.JPG
Sidewalls and floor.JPG
Seat Rails.JPG

Hey, Guys,
Thanks for stopping by. I added the few bits of PE on the left side wall. Mostly throttle stuff. Dabbed on some red, yellow, and white. I am completely guessing from a couple of B&W pics here. I have the IP gauges and PE done along with the radio gauges and PE. I still need to go back and dirty a few things up and touch up the throttle quadrant with a dab of black as well as pick a the detail on the IP as well.

lft Sidewall, IP, Radio.JPG

I have the wings together and touched up (I am starting to really like Mr. Surfacer). Floats are together as well. I am thinking I will add the bracing on the struts prior to mounting them to the fuselage/wings. I need to think that through a bit more wrt painting/floats installed.

As you can see, the sidewall cracked from the moderate pressure when I clamped it place to dry. Oh well.

Last edited:
Watch it if doing the rigging prior to the float fit Dale, as you have six connecting points to the fuselage and wings and if you brace to tight on just one line, the lot will be out of kilter.

Hey, Vic, that is one of the things I was worried about. I was going to try to brace with just enough tension and dbl check the fit.

Just came across this, I braced my struts before attaching to the plane. Three of the struts fit perfectly but the fourth was out of allignment. Was a real twitch to get it in. So probably better to wire brace after attachment though it will be a lot harder then. Looking good so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back