**** DONE: 1/48 Arado AR 196-A2 - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks anyway Bill, trouble is can't use spray as it will fog the canopy unless I have a cover over it and with that very fine bit of wire from the quarter-light to tail, I'm not game, so need to find a hand brush solution. Will mull it over in my sleep………………..well you know what I mean!

Vic, I always use Tamiya Flat Clear mixed with Future. The flat is, as Bill says too flat, a bit of Future gives more of a smooth paint look, not shiny but smooth. Start with 50/50 and see what you think. Also you've left off quite a few decals (Balkenkruse/ ID numbers) and the prop spinner?

Thanks for the tip Mike, may give it a try later today, but need to protect that canopy first, don't want splash back. Also mate, nothing left of in the way of decal or spinner, this boy didn't have them which was the same for a lot of the cruiser Arados. some even had false or no marking to confuse the enemy, one example was with French naval roundels and fin flash.

Looks good Vic. I'd be masking the canopy and spraying on Mike's mix. However, you need to be really careful with the ratios as the flat base can go dusty on you. There are pre-mixed acrylic flat coats around too. Model Master makes one that I like. Then here's the tried and true Testors Dull Coat which I've found works well, even over Future as long as you don't overdo it as it's enamel based.

I'm still fiddling. Found the problem with the flat was all the good stuff stuck at the bottom of the bottle even though I had given it a good shake. A good stir and all came good.

20140709 a.jpg

Also found a ping piece when tiding up, little handles for the canopy, lucky I didn't chuck the other, there now in place.

20140709 b.jpg

Vic, troublemaker!! I missed them too, now you got me lookin.... Like the look, nice satin sheen rather than dead flat

I like everything about this one vic, but the stand out for me are those wonderful panel lines youve done. they look terrific my friend, and the canopy despite the problems looks great as well. Someday when you take mercy on my soul, i would love to know how you overcame that problem. i know you used white glue, but how did you manage the application, Ive looked and looked and can find no evidence of it even being there.

well done, well done indeed.

Many thanks all you good folks, still not sure if I've finished messing with this one yet, I've a couple of extras floating round in my mind, just got to mull over the practicalities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back