**** DONE: 1/48 Arado Ar 196A - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey, Guys,
Well, I got a start on painting. I have the basic top and bottom coats on and the cowl. The yellow is done on the cowl and the wingtips. Floats and struts are drying right now. I am taping up the canopy pieces at this time. I will get them mounted later tonight and do the RLM02/RLM73 painting then. Looks like this is getting down to the various fiddly bits stage and decaling, final finish. I plan on doing a pretty heavy weathering on this one. Lots of chips and such with additional fading beyond the random pre-shading I have already done.

BTW, just what color are the prop blades in general on Luftwaffe planes? Flat black just does not look right. Seems to be a dark grey tone. Any help here?

BottomPainted.JPG
EngineInCowl.JPG
TopPainted.JPG

Ok, so the basic painting is done and the decals are on. I am not real happy with the quality of the decals in the kit, but at least they are not thick as a board. I also drilled the floats/struts for the bracing wires and have 2 of the 3 sets installed. Well, one end of each guy wire is glued in place. The other end passes all the way through the other endpoint. My thoughts here I am going to tension the guy wires, check the fit and then glue them down once I am sure there is no twisting of the struts so everything is lined up on the strut to fuse contact points. I will clip the excess off once dried and cover the ends on the bottom cross bracing with a tiny smidge of putty and paint to hide them as best I can. Pics below:

And, thank you all for all the wishes on the job front. Landed another contract gig and start tomorrow over at Dell doing a hybrid program/project manager gig. Contract to perm potential with the term being 9 months. Nice thing is Dell is less than 3 miles from home AND, working from home 2-3 days/week! Gotta love that ball buster commute! I am still chasing a couple of other perm positions at this time. But, this gives me cash flow again. So, I am in GB 23 and will probably get one of the new educard 109Gs. I'll post as soon as I make a final decision.

FrontPaintDecalProp.JPG

TopRgtFrontPaintDecals.JPG

FloatsGuyWires.JPG

Last edited:
Looks good Dale and great news on the job. Good luck with that.

The cross decals are noticeably off register. If that bugs you, it's possible to hide this by carefully painting out the "overhangs" using a fine brush.

Well, the fiddly bits work starts. No pics yet though. Andy, I decided to order a set of early WWII Iron Crosses to replace the kit decals. I tried to clean up the kit decal registers, but I just could not get a look I was happy with. So, off with the kit markings and I am awaiting the decals. I also ordered the Eduard 109G kit for the Eastern front GB.

I are back from the wars once again! Looking really nice Dale. You seem to either have a different kit or you opened up an access panel on the right and added the MG?

I are back from the wars once again! Looking really nice Dale. You seem to either have a different kit or you opened up an access panel on the right and added the MG?

Hey, Mike,
The detail kit I had for this kit included the gun bay and panel. I considered not using it, but decided to go for it after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back