**** DONE: 1/48 Arado Ar 196A - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

need a foto ? 2./SAGr 125 // by the way the box art emblem on the engine cowling is wrong ..... the correct one shows a British Lion getting hammered by a pelican.

Attachments

• air_ar196_5.jpg
    air_ar196_5.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Just came across this, I braced my struts before attaching to the plane. Three of the struts fit perfectly but the fourth was out of allignment. Was a real twitch to get it in. So probably better to wire brace after attachment though it will be a lot harder then. Looking good so far

Had the same problem Mike.

Hey, Guys,
Thank you for stopping by and thank you for all the feedback. Where the hell am I gonna find that cowling marking?

Ok, I am about to finally finish the seat mount I have been working on for a week and a half!. I just need to let the last coat of RLM02 dry and get the seat in place.
Seat rail 1.JPG
Seat rail 2.JPG

The cockpit floor assembly is just about done as well. IP, yoke, rudder pedals, and radio gear are installed. I had to get a tad heavy handed with the 5 minute expoxy in getting the IP mounted. But, I do not think this will be visible once everything is closed up.
Floor Radio Yoke and IP.JPG

Wait til you try to fit the seat and get it straight in the mount. Good work and luck

Yeah, Mike, that tested my patience more than I expected. But, the seat is in, letting it dry up then I will test fit the entire cockpit into the fuse and hopefully start on closing the fuse today. I sure hope I can get things to really progress at that point. I am still trying to decide if I will add the PE to the floats or not yet.

The cockpit fit is good and with the large glass a good deal of it is visible. The Fuselage fit is tricky though with the cockpit in place on one side

Ok, just a heads up for you all. I am NOT going to build up the platform for this one due to time concerns AND the fact that I want to try a dio kinda thing with the bird in the water as shown in several photos in the GB thread. So, for this GB, I am building JUST the airframe. I will attack the dio idea after I complete the bird and close out the build. Is that ok with the judges?

Mike, I am a tad concerned on the fit as I am using an aftermarket cockpit set. So far, things look ok with a few trail dry fits. But, the devil is in the details.

Ok, guys,
I have made progress and I owe you all some pics. Basic cockpit is done and the fuse is closed up now. Wings are on as well. I had more to fill on the wings than I had hoped for, so a combination of CA and Mr Surfacer 500 was used. I am sanding now. I will pop a couple of pics tomorrow and get them uploaded.

Hey, Guys,
I have the fuse and wings together and the fuse seams cleaned up. I need to clean up the uppor wing root seams still. I need to pop over to Home Depot and get some 1/4" and 1/2" dowel rod to make up some round sanding sticks. Hope to get that done this evening. Floats and struts are assembled. The strut molding seam was a PITA to get cleaned up. I am not at all pleased with the strut/float joints either. Not sure how to deal with that yet.
I have the rear MG assembly from the resin kit mostly done. Very nice detail, but they are some damned small parts!

FuseWingsFrnBot.JPG

FuseWingsFrnTop.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back