**** DONE: 1/48 Arado AR 196-A2 - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Username: Vic Balshaw
First name: Vic
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Italeri – 2675

Extras: A very long list, so not OOB.

My subject is one of two Ar 196 from 2./BfGr.196 aboard the heavy cruiser 'Admiral Scheer' between 27 October 1940-1 April 1941.

20140609 1a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did want to do this machine in French colours as provided with the kit but could find no reference. In my searching it was discovered that the cruisers using pirate tactics, had the aircraft painted in a light blue and without markings. This was so identification by eyewitness could not determine where the aircraft came from. It is also known that some aircraft were painted with French markings eg. the roundels and fin flash of the Aéronavale. But none of this can be authenticated, so I'll just stick to the light blue machine as used on the 'Admiral Scheer'.

It is known that the Ar 196 was used extensively for reconnaissance. An example being on the 17 February 1941 when in the Indian Ocean, north of Madagascar, two merchant vessels the 'British Advocate' and a Greek vessel 'Grigorios' were located by the Arado. 'Admiral Scheer' took the 'British Advocate' as a prize but sank the 'Grigorios'.

The 'Canadian Cruiser' was also spotted on the 21 February and sunk and the Dutch steamer 'Rantaupandjang' fell victim to the 'Admiral Scheer' guns the next day.

20140609 2a.jpg

20140609 2b.jpg

20140609 2c.jpg

20140609 2d.jpg

Last edited:
Well Well Vic jumps into the ring ;)

for some reason I saw the icon and thought of Andy boy :dontknow:

Last edited:
Nice choice Vic. Should look great with all the add-ons. Found this photo of an aircraft in French markings. Wiki says no French operators. Unfortunately I don't speak German and Google translate didn't make much sense.

vic.jpg

Geo

Thanks gents, I had in fact found that same picture and info yesterday guys, while sorting some pics for Mike's machine. Still going to stick with the 'Admiral Scheer' machine though, I think it looks nicer in the one colour of RLM 65

Do you mean this one? .... A-2 of the heavy cruiser, Admiral Scheer, 1940 – 1941.

007.JPG

Ar196_AdmiralScheer_19f.jpg

Ar196_AdmiralScheer_18f.jpg

Last edited:
That's the one my friend and from the same book by the looks. Also on reflection the colour is more like RLM 76 the 65, so that could be the way I go.

Thanks for the comments guys, it's good to be back in the chair.

Made a serious star with the Arado today, some scraping and scratching and adding a few bits of PE before an initial spary. Sadly I'm lacking any internal cockpit detail, particularly side walls and gunners position, so much of what is going in is pure conjecture on my part.

Anyway, here's the days work.

20140613 1a.jpg

20140613 1b.jpg

20140613 1c.jpg

20140613 1d.jpg

20140613 1e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back