**** DONE: 1/48 Arado AR 196-A2 - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think those panel lines will come really well when its all dome and finished. Subtle but discernible at the moment. but it probably only works because of the light colour of the top coat. looks like yove really thinned down the paint as well????

Thanks for looking in folks.

Little mode progress today just working on the panel lines to bring them out a little more. Used a solution of oil paint (raw umber) and terpenoid in a very well diluted solution, roughly 1/20 oil/terpenoid and a very fine long bristle brush with about 8 hairs on it.

20140702 a.jpg

20140702 b.jpg

20140702 c.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the outcome especially as this is my first serious venture with this method.

I have also started on the floats rigging, the cross members will not be secured until the floats are on the aircraft.

20140702 d.jpg

Last edited:
For the rigging Michael I'm use necklace wire picked up for Spotlight, they have varying thicknesses of finely clear plastic sheathed woven wire and I'm using the thinnest one. As for the thickness, from looking at many pictures it would appear to be quite substantial wire that is being used. The floats would not have been light and the struts would also have been quite flexible, so I figure the rigging wire would also have been quite robust.

It does. Its looking really good Vic, and for the record, just to be clear, I am really impressed with the panel lines and the way they are coming out.

Often womndered what the Arado would have been like with conventional landing gear, and more of a strike role over SAR

Thanks guys, looks like I'm on the home stretch, all eight decals are on and setting and not many more bits to add. A few more days should see it done. Anyway, here's an update.

20140704 e.jpg

20140704 d.jpg

20140704 c.jpg

20140704 b.jpg

20140704 a.jpg

Very nice Vic, I see you painted the cannons, I was thinking of leaving mine the original brass but that's probably not correct. Also see you found a Swas for the tail.
Look on the decal sheet, see #11 #12? There is nothing in the instructions about them that I can find.

Thanks Mike and like you, I have no idea where these two little decals, they look like stencilled instructions, so I guess, find a panel and slap it on. As for the swastika, I have a feeling that there is an aversion to providing some. My alternative decal sheet had them but they were cut in half, strangely though this alternative sheet had no Balkenkreuz. Both swastika and Balkenkreuz I took form my spares box.

Bit of a disaster struck this arvo, placing the canopy quarter-light, could not get is to sit properly, but when I did, also managed to get glue on it which I did not see until set. So have removed it and spent a while doing the sanding process to get the screen nice and shiny again. Sadly though, this has uncovered a flaw within in the clear plastic that cannot be removed, so I'm stuck with it.

Pics tomorrow, maybe.

Nice job Vic, hoping the flah is not too noticable......

Mike, someone may come up with a couple of Stikkas for you. I may have a couple if push comes to shuvv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back