**** DONE: 1/48 Arado AR 196-A2 - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Many thanks Hugh and Michael, also hope what you see helps Michael.

Cold and damp again today so no spraying yet again, but we have made progress.

This is the beast as it looks at the moment, squat, ugly and a god-awful mess, but were getting there.

20140629 a.jpg

20140629 b.jpg

Decided to make a start on the beaching dolly and thought the tyres would look better if they were flattened and bulged a little. I've never attempted this before so after flattening the wheels, I stuck them to a bit of plastic and applied filler on each side. This set overnight and then the wheels were removed by saw from the plastic and filed back to shape. Here is the outcome.

20140629 c.jpg

20140629 d.jpg

20140629 e.jpg

20140629 f.jpg

While fiddling with the wheels I also set about the dolly platform. To my mind it would have been a very strong and heavy local wood, such as oak or beech which would have been liberally treated with something like creosote which would have given it a darker appearance.
These are most of the bits painted and drying.

20140629 g.jpg

Last of all, the propeller which on this version of the Arado will not have the spinner fitted.

20140629 h.jpg

Vic, looking good. Impressive work flattening those tires. The paint (Testors) I picked up named WOOD is/was way to light. The dark washes helped but I should have gone Geo's route. The support frame is steel. Thinking about adding a bit of RUST

Thanks fellers, your all too kind.

George, the fill was just the normal Tamiya, put on very rough in hope there was no bubbles within, but when I stated filing, there was. So a bit more was added, dried and off we went again, filing. The other thing I did was use a thick glue mixing the filler with a drop of glue so that when it set, it was rock solid. Made for a bit of hard sawing to get the wheels off the plastic card but I'm happy with the outcome.

Thanks Bill, good to know you had a nice birthday even if you only got BACON nestled in lettuce and tomato, the latter being just for decoration!

Good progress today folks, the sun came out and so did the airbrush, though the air was a tad frosty.

All has had its overspray and I've just finished the upper coat of floor polish (Longlife)for protection.

20140630 a.jpg

20140630 b.jpg

Dolly also done, just needs a little more attention to make it look a bit bashed around.

20140630 c.jpg

20140630 d.jpg

Very nice Vic, I see you painted the steel parts of the cart a different color, looks great. Can't tell if the pre-shading made any difference to the panel lines. Could you please take a close-up pic next time. I also see you put the "Headlights"? on the wings. Do you (or anyone) know what those are? Have the 20mm been removed? are those protective covers for the 20mm?

I've been hunting high and low for an answer to these headlight thingies you refer to Mike and this morning…………..'EUREKA'……………they are what I had suspected.

Caps over the extended area of the 20 mm cannon and one must assume that they were a protection device against salt spray. The kit shows these 'headlight' thingies to have a disk cover slit similar to wartime headlamps on vehicles. But, looking at what photographs are clear enough to see, it is in fact a complete dick capping the end of the headlamp shape and one must assume this to be a protective cap that would be shot away when the cannon is first used.

AR 196 Cutaway master.jpg

AR 196 Cutaway 1.jpg

Thanks Vic. I saw the slit which is why my first thought was a headlight/landinglight of some type. Then you mentioned the existence of the 20mm cannons. I wonder if the slit is for a type of wrench to unscrew the cover? rather than shooting it away. Apparently in our version the top MG was removed and placed on the lower right side firing through that big hole in the cowling

Thanks Michael.

Can't tell if the pre-shading made any difference to the panel lines. Could you please take a close-up pic next time.

Here you go Mike, sorry about the pic quality, light not so good this time of year so there a bit dark but you can see the shading under the top spray of paint and I still have to go over the panel lines individually to bring them out more.

20140701 a.jpg

20140701 b.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back