**** DONE: 1/48 B-17G Flying Fortress - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ahoy Fellas
Sorry not keeping up with my usual standards of keeping up the build reports coming......... with summer starting to take form I been working on my RC toys getting them ready for events coming up on the following pictures of the build report you will see one of them in its elements.

Okay gang here is the upshot The wings have been assembled as a sub assembly unit with the landing gear wells epoxied inside the bottom wing for much added strength to support the weight of the flying fortress when its time to rest on her legs....... all of seams have been filled on the wings where the inboard and outboard engine nacelles come together and the leading edged when dry they were wet sanded along with the fuselage and horizontal stabilizers and such........ The wings are up to snuff just like as always they are interlocked with a tongue and slot method of assembly.......by sliding the wing forward locks the wing in to position I had a buddy of mine who also built one of these for a model show and left the wings removable for storage as he boxed up the model for the event............. Only thing is that it will leave a ugly seam on the bottom wing root that joins the bottom of the fuselage the top is not bad can be do0ne if the modeler prefers going this route............ Tomorrow I will construct the four engine cowlings and paint the same not very kmany parts to the build as you all can see old boats is moving slow might be a good thing.

Boats:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 88
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 89
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 83
  • PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 80
  • PICT0005.JPG
    PICT0005.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 82
  • PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 81
  • PICT0007.JPG
    PICT0007.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 82
  • PICT0008.JPG
    PICT0008.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 91
  • PICT0009.JPG
    PICT0009.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 89
  • PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0010.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 93
Ahoy Fellas
Sorry not keeping up with my usual standards of keeping up the build reports coming......... with summer starting to take form I been working on my RC toys getting them ready for events coming up on the following pictures of the build report you will see one of them in its elements.

Okay gang here is the upshot The wings have been assembled as a sub assembly unit with the landing gear wells epoxied inside the bottom wing for much added strength to support the weight of the flying fortress when its time to rest on her legs....... all of seams have been filled on the wings where the inboard and outboard engine nacelles come together and the leading edged when dry they were wet sanded along with the fuselage and horizontal stabilizers and such........ The wings are up to snuff just like as always they are interlocked with a tongue and slot method of assembly.......by sliding the wing forward locks the wing in to position I had a buddy of mine who also built one of these for a model show and left the wings removable for storage as he boxed up the model for the event............. Only thing is that it will leave a ugly seam on the bottom wing root that joins the bottom of the fuselage the top is not bad can be do0ne if the modeler prefers going this route............ Tomorrow I will construct the four engine cowlings and paint the same not very kmany parts to the build as you all can see old boats is moving slow might be a good thing.

Boats:D:D:D:D

Ahoy
Forgot there are some more filling to do before the paint is applied that's whats great about primer paint it lets you know where all of the imperfections are at it will be a while before the paint schedule is added.

Boats

Good stuff Boats. I noticed that the chin turret guns on your kit have some detail on them - my example, bought around 1989, has plain guns all round.

Great to hear from you Boats!
Ah, to be independently wealthy like you are! RC hobbies, and such, I was like that once upon a time...
It looks like you are using old pink insulation for the stuffing, yes?
Great work, and looking forward to more!

Fantastic work Boats!!

Did you get the plans yet btw?

Ahoy Even
yes Sir I did I am truly sorry for not letting you know that I received them, I been to far busy around the house and it took me away from the build all this house work has got me spinning..................... BUT its got to be done this is called the ultimate honey do list of the year as mentioned before you got to keep mama happy or she will take away the glue LOLllllllllllllllllll. anyway I have a update coming up. I appreciate these Even the bomb bay doors will be my last assembly to complete before she is done. thanks Even you the Man.

Boats

Great to hear from you Boats!
Ah, to be independently wealthy like you are! RC hobbies, and such, I was like that once upon a time...
It looks like you are using old pink insulation for the stuffing, yes?
Great work, and looking forward to more!

Ahoy Paul
Nope its tissue that has been covered with filler putty residue giving the impression that its pink installation. I have another update coming up thanks Paul for your reply

Boats

Ahoy
Okay fellas back to the overdue build report you fellas probably wondering its not my style in slow mode. I had one heck of a honey do list that's finally done now since I have all of the house work done now its time to get back to the building of the flying fortress.

The build update report shows the final prime paint work and next will be the final painting and assembly after all of the prime paint work has dried there were a few imperfections that need to be re filled with filler putty when all of the imperfections have been filled in I wet sanded the model down and gave it 4 coats of neutral gray paint I mixed it myself using fedral color chips right on the money. Letting the paint dry over night tomorrow the olive drab will be applied the bomb doors will be my last assembly phase to complete the massive flying Fortress. going slow but getting there I should have this build complete in three or four days from now. on the first photos show the the filler all sanded down ready for priming the last of the pix are the final prime coat. BTW thank you guys for your replies old boats is honered to have great friends like you fellas you guys are the best.

boats:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 74
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 68
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 78
  • PICT0004.JPG