**** DONE: 1/48 B-25 - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey, All,
I am finally getting some real time in at the bench over the past couple of weekend. I need to upload a bunch of pics. I am about ready to close the fuselage up and should have that done by mid week, end of week at the latest. Overall, the accurate miniatures kit is nice. I am staying mostly OOB with respect to interior detail, just not sure how much detail work would be easily seen after the fuse is closed up. I will put some time into the bomb bay though.
One question for you all. The decal sheet calls for a dark olive drab with no FS number. Any one have any ideas on this mix? I am thinking of olive drab with some leather and a touch of black (all MM enamels)? Additionally, I have kept the majority of the interior zinc chromate versus the mix of ZC and aluminum. One down side to a VVS build is the scant availability of references. If anyone can point me to a good resource I would sure appreciate it.
Dale

OD had a lot of variations in color because of the way it quickly weathered and faded so whatever you do may be alright. I use to do all my OD paint schemes with MM enamel Olive Drab, but Lately I've been using MM enamel Olive Drab (ANA 613) which isn't quite so green. either way it's only a base for all the weathering I do to the paint to get the final effect.

hi dale,
so I understand of your post to paint the interior asks for a dark OD, I'm doing another and all the models I've seen after the G series were painted in fs34151 and from that model could be color two tone 34092 or the fs34102 fs.
arriendeo loan aircraft that arrived were repainted in russia russia but only the outside, if you look closely at the two photos you have put into the place of the bomber or side gunners can see the FS34151 which is inside while the cockpit this fs 34092

Hey, Guys,
Well, I have a few shots of the work to date. I think I will be able to meet the dead line, but that will mean zero outside distractions for the next couple of weeks. I am sure glad work has slowed down enough to let me spend time at the bench.

The one thing that is frustrating about this build is the difficulty in finding sources for colors and such. I have assumed that North American did a basic finish on the Lend Lease aircraft and the Soviets repainted exteriors as needed. I decided to go with a mostly ZC Green interior with weathering and dirtying things up. Most all gauges other than the IP were done with a white artists pencil. Wearing (silver highlights) and other highlighting were done with silver, black, and grey artists pencils. I am liking these pencils, they seem to make things easier on me and my old fart eyes. I did use enamels as I saw the need for them.

So far, the fit of things appears to be good to excellent, but, the first test will be closing up the fuse. I hope to be there by mid week.

So, pictures..... first is the cockpit with the focus on the panel. I used the rgt side fuse half to help prop the cockpit up. You can get an initial peek at the work there as well.
Cockpit 1.JPG

Next is the rgt side fuse with most everything installed and the bomb bay just in front of the fuse. I am sure hoping to minimize any glass pop outs during masking the exterior for painting!!!
Rgt Fuse Complete, Bomb bay 1.JPG

Next, care to guess..... left side fuse. Man, far more interior detail painting than I expected. I sure hope at least some of this can be seen after assembly (I doubt it).
Lft Fuse 1.JPG

Last is the Nav station on the front side of the bomb bay bulkhead.
Nav Station 1.JPG

That's it for now, folks. Back to fume land......
Dale

Last edited:
Good Evening, Guys,
Thank you for the comments on the last batch of photos. I have a few more of the bombardier's area. However, I have a couple of questions for you all first:

1) I am using SAC White metal gear legs for this kit due to the nose wgt required. It hit me as I was finishing the bombardier's area. Just what do I use to cement the bloody things in with? I assume something like a 5 minute epoxy? Any other ideas?

2) I was sanding down the seam on the bombardier fuse / glass seam (with a very fine sanding stick). As careful as I was, I did get a few blemishes on the clear area. Any ideas on buffing these out other than just keep moving finer and finer in grit? Toothpaste?

Ok, pictures now.

First is from behind looking straight up into the bombardier's area. I hope the dollop of Future in the lens of the bomb aiming sight can be seen. Oh, and yes, I am using the kit supplied Norden sight. I know we did NOT ship Lend-Lease birds with that sight. However, I had absolutely nothing else to use or any idea what should have been used (the perils of Soviet aircraft in WWII it seems). The fit of the fixed gun and the nose glass was horrible so I just cut it off, I plan on using a quickboost barrel after the plane is complete.
BombardierArea.JPG

Next is the left side of the bombardier's area. Overall, I like this kit so far. However, I am a bit concerned with the fit of the nose to fuse, things just do not look quite perfect to ensure a solid fit. I am expecting to have to do some work there. I will know for sure by Sunday.
BombardierLft.JPG

Lastly, the right hand side.
BombardierRgt.JPG

If anyone has built this kit in the past, I would love to hear your feedback, especially any issues you ran into.

Thanks, Charles for the clean up for me!

BTW, I LOVE the Valejo (spelling?) washes I picked up at Scale Hobbyist. I have a "scrap" old Monogram B-17 that I use to test things like this on. I tried hand brushing and airbrushing. Both worked nicely with the airbrushing really looking like the bomb. I am thinking about some of this to the interior, but I am worried about it being too heavy handed. It will be used in the weathering the exterior of the final finish of this plane (a longer post to come on that asking for group's collective wisdom).

Thanks for looking in, guys.

Dale

Last edited:
Looking good so far. To remove scratches from the clear parts, polish with 'T-Cut' or similar car body colour restorer, or metal polish. Apply this sparingly, on a soft cloth, and polish until smooth. Wash off any excess, and then polish dry. A dip in 'Future' will really make it sparkle.
Note that the 'cross-hatched' areas on the nose side wall are representing the quilted, sound-deadening, padded material used, and this was a sage green colour. It is also found on the cockpit side walls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back