**** DONE: 1/48 Bf 109E-3 - Defense of Britain/Atlantic.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very nice Wayne! The intakes on the cowling as well as the gun barrels look especially sharp!

thanks Guys, all the wing bits are in place now with a bit of tidying up to come....

Attachments

• 10_wing assembled_2777.jpg
    10_wing assembled_2777.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 11_Wing assembled_2779.jpg
    11_Wing assembled_2779.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 80
So clean! Is it just me or is there something appealing about unpainted plastic?

I agree, Wayne's builds always look cleaner than a clean thing !
What's your opinion on this, the first of their 'new generation' of kits Wayne ?
I've got three to build, purchased when first released, and Airfix have got even better since then.

I agree, Wayne's builds always look cleaner than a clean thing !
What's your opinion on this, the first of their 'new generation' of kits Wayne ?
I've got three to build, purchased when first released, and Airfix have got even better since then.

it is not bad at all Terry,fit is pretty good but does require a little bit of tweaking here and there. Tamiya and then Hasegawa are still better overall. haven't built an Eduard one yet but that will come in time. I intend doing doing a JG53 non standard camo aircraft in all 4 kits. I would do another Airfix 109 terry.

Just wondering why, with the rarity of having separate leading edge slats, you chose to model them retracted Wayne?

my first preference Andy didn't really think about it that much, retracted slats and flaps up to see just what sort of fit each of these things would be. Now on a 1/32 scale Hasegawa G series I prefer them extended as the fit is not that great retracted, having done both.
If I do another Airfix 109 extended slats and dropped flaps will be the go for an alternate look, and I have had to do a bit of filing and sanding on the raised flaps when trialling the wing to fuselage fit where as the slats fitted pretty good.

Last edited:
Thanks Wayne - I've only done a partial 'dry fit' of the Airfix kits so far, so good to know they go together well. Shame the dropped a b*ll*ck with the 'E4' type canopy though.
Got a Hasegawa example built about 20 years ago, which will be repainted, plus three Tamiya and two Hobbyraft, all for my 'BoB, Hardest Days' collection, and I agree that the Tamiya seems best overall of those.

Slats are not always deployed Andy, plenty of pics show in and out...so you gets to choose..if they come separate...:D

And yeah Terry, I did forget to mention the botchup of the "E-4/7" canopy, but then I was always going to do an E-3 or E-1 with the rounded canopy so the other canopy didn't figure in my thinking process...sorry for that little oversight.

Last edited:
No problem Wayne. Thankfully, for the one Airfix kit being used as an E4, I have a center section cut from their old '109 F kit which I can use. The canopy in the kit is moulded with a heavy central frame, as you know, and although this could be removed and polished, it's a tricky job, and only needs one slip to either ruin, or worse, crack the part.
It's evident that Airfix made the same mistake as Matchbox, with their 1/32nd scale kit back in the mid 1970's. Both used the RAF Museum, Hendon, '109 as their pattern, but it would seem the design teams concerned failed to ask questions about detail areas of the real aircraft, as it had 'lost' its original canopy at some stage, and used a replacement, probably from a 'Buchon' at the time the BoB movie was made.
At least it shows that they faithfully reproduced what they saw though !!!
Sorry for the diversion from the thread, and now back to your model !!

These turned up yesterday...

Attachments

• 1_Bf109E_Interior Etch set_2741.jpg
    1_Bf109E_Interior Etch set_2741.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 1_Bf109E_Prop  Spinner_2748.jpg
    1_Bf109E_Prop Spinner_2748.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 1_Bf109E Canopy Mask_2742.jpg
    1_Bf109E Canopy Mask_2742.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 96
Nice additions there Wayne.

Re the Eduard kit, so far mine has been a breeze, no problem with excess plastic, ejection marks or mould seams and the tiny components are beautifully moulded. Let's hope it continues this way when I get round to putting it all together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back