**** DONE: 1/48 Bf 109G-4/R6 "Yellow 11" of 13.(Slow)/JG 52 Eastern Front GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice find Karl. I've seen this profile and picture before. However, Osprey's book isn't really accurate in all regards. The profile of "Yellow 11" is clearly based on the profile posted in post #8 on previous page and only replicates it's inaccuracies regarding yellow underside of the engine cowling and outline type of fuselage Balkenkreuz.

Also, the picture you posted does indeed show Ján Gerthofer, but aircraft behind him isn't "Yellow 11". It's another aircraft of Letka 13 with similarly spotted engine cowling - Bf 109G-4 "Yellow 6" W.Nr.19330. Check the series of pictures of Gerthofer and this aircraft taken from different angles as published in HTmodel Špecial No.912 (pg 31).

ok loads of nice info there Igor i'll leave this thread for you to help Andy, you know more about it than me !!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Hey Karl, no worries mate. Please feel free to post whatever you can find. The Osprey book has some inaccuracies, but offers an interesting read and a nice source of information none the less. Through discussion I'm sure we can clarify any ambiguities we come across. I'm curious, what would be your opinion on the color of cowling spots - yellow or RLM76?

To comment on Kevin's post... Gerthofer was born in 1910, so at the time when that picture was taken (1943) he was 33 years old. He was one of most experienced Slovak pilots, joining the Air Force in 1927 and serving as bomber pilot and flight instructor before joining the fighter arm. Eventually he became third ranking Slovak fighter ace with 26 victories. You can read more about him in my thread about Letka 13.

Last edited:
Karl, Igor, great info guys, thanks. Plenty to go on now but keep it coming if you find more - especially on the yellow vs 76 spots. Need to look at the pics closely.

Kevin, I think I'll be dabbing the spots on with a brush, toothpick, or something like that. Too distinct and small to be airbrushed methinks.

Kevin, I think I'll be dabbing the spots on with a brush, toothpick, or something like that. Too distinct and small to be airbrushed methinks.

I would tend to agree with this statement Andy and it will be interesting to know which way you eventually achieve it.

Karl, Igor, great info guys, thanks. Plenty to go on now but keep it coming if you find more - especially on the yellow vs 76 spots. Need to look at the pics closely.

Saw the spots done once using small balls of Blu-tak applied, in that instance I recall it was RLM 76 the blu-tak the camo and remove the BT and you have your spots , however in this case the brush or toothpic would give the best 'tight' result for 1/48.

Thank-you for allowing me to be welcome.:lol:

Got a start on this yesterday with the cockpit parts getting a coat of RLM 66........must....not......scatchbuild lines and.....hoses and.....seatbelts [smacks side of face].

Ouch.

Launched into this one over the last couple of days.

1st two pics below show the cockpit details. Hobbycraft did a nice job of providing detail parts for the pit and the instrument panel is pretty good although seemingly incorrect for the G-6 it's supposed to be. I overpainted the oxygen indicators on the left side and added some buttons and switches instead. I've decided to leave the canopy closed for this build so am not spending a lot of time detailing the inside of the pit. Nevertheless, I added some rudimentary harnesses cut from wine bottle foil which was already the right colour. Scatches were done with a silver pencil.

110304 Cockpit with Inst Panel.jpg
110304 Cockpit from behind.jpg

Next, as I've never seen a pic of a parked 109 without the flaps of rad louvers in some position other than fully stowed, I set about cutting the rad louvres to open these up. Despite taking precautions to prevent spoiling the surface, I managed to scar the underside a bit and will need to fill this small scratch. No big deal.

110304 Rad Upper Cut.jpg
110304 Rad Underside Cut.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Thanks Terry. I'm glad about that but don't be shy to point out any issues. I'm thinking that the IP should have had a bomb panel on it, being a G-4 but I didn't bother with the closed pit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back