**** DONE: 1/48 Bf 109G-4/R6 "Yellow 11" of 13.(Slow)/JG 52 Eastern Front GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Assembling rather quickly now.

First two pics below show the finished pit inserted into the fuselage. I disregarded the instructions here which called for gluing everything to one side before gluing the fuselage seam. Rather, I opted to insert everything from underneath, which called for completing only the top seam first so that I could pry open the lower seam slightly to allow the tub to slip in around the the locating tabs. This was necessary as the instrument panel was slightly narrower than the fuselage and had to be centered properly and glued against a tab made of thick plastic card. Once that was done, I glued in the tub, which fit quite nicely.

110307 Cockpit 2.jpg

110307 Cockpit 1.jpg

The gun sight has been left off until later. The only criticism I have on the kit cockpit details is that the inner trim wheel rim is quite thick, as you can see. Other than that, Hobbycraft have done a nice job here.

The next two pics show some dry-fitting. The wing halves were glued together and then trial fit to the fuselage. I must say I'm impressed with the fit on this kit so far. As you can see, there will be very little filling required. Not bad for 8 bucks at the local swap!

110307 Dry fit Top.jpg

The lower section dry-fitted. The cut I made when removing the rad louvre can be seen here being built up with primer which will be sanded flush to hide the cut.

110307 Dry fit Bottom.jpg

There are a lot of locating holes that could be opened up from the inside of the wing halves depending on the ordnance carried. I managed to get the holes for the underwing cannon done but realized too late that I did not get the locating holes for the wheel well bulge in the upper wing surface. I'll have to guess a bit on these but it should not be a problem.

See ya later.

I think you're trying very hard not to fill all those little details Andy, but me thinks one or two are going to sneak in. Like what I'm seeing though.

Thanks all.

Vic, yes, can't resist adding a bit here and there but am trying hard to keep it simple. I think those elevators might get cranked down a bit too. Hmmm...

While doing some background checking on the G model subtypes, I came across the statement that the wing bulges that were added to accomodate the wider tires were first introduced on the G-3 but that the G-4 entered production before the G-3 (sounds like the Spit Mark saga). However, looking at the reference shots, it's quite evident that they were present on this particular aircraft so I'm obviously going to put them on.

Now, about those LE slats....

Oh, I'll do it. A parked 109 must have the slats deployed IMHO. Toying with a way to do this without the saw though. If I can shape a piece of plastic card tightly enough, I'll juts file down the wing LE and glue the new slat to it.

Plan B. I cut the slats from the model and will use those - too small and tight to try to make them.

So much for OOB..... the wings are now pretty cut up, waiting for positioning and filling at the cuts.

110309 Wings.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back