**** DONE: 1/48 Fairey Gannet AS.1 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the comments lads and them pic's Terry. I've again scoured all the pics I have of the Aussie three seater and most that show the spine are not clear enough to determine if there is a navigation light. I've sort of thrown caution to the wind and added one just in front of the third cockpit. As this position sits facing rearward it would stand to reason that the light should be so positioned as to prevent hindrance to his vision, so it would therefore be forward of him.

I was going to put a nice glossy shine on the bird and bits today ready for adding decals, but it's been pi$$ing it down since dawn, we must have moved to Manchester. Anyway it's not a good day for spraying. Maybe tomorrow.

I've had a look at some pics of ASW Gannets Vic and, like you, I can't definitely determine a anti-collision beacon. However, in one photo, there's an indistinct 'blob' more or less where you've positioned your light, which might be a beacon. I agree that that's the logical place to position it too.

not sure if there was a beacon on top Vic, here's a pic of a newly built AS 4

800px-Fairey_Gannet_AS_4_XA417_Ringway_15_06_56_edited-2.jpg

Thanks for that Karl, in the end I have decided to not have the nav light as after again checking the pics, I could still not see anything that was conclusive. So having actually added one, it's now been given the flick.

Progress has been slow, but today I finally got some decals added. this task is now actually finished, so they will dry overnight and come tomorrow afternoon, I'll give everything a nice protective spray and then start adding the bits. Wing folds will be last.

121001-1A.jpg

121001-1B.jpg

Last edited:
Well well well. Looky what we got here, even in pieces this model looks cool! Nice job and the exhaust looks perfect. I know its not done yet but I must bow down to the ming of the double wing fold!

Thanks for all the kind words folks. Nothing worth showing from today, was just drawing some fine lines on it to dirty up the panel lines. Hope to get some legs on it tomorrow.

Might be a bit late, but I found a couple more detail shots I had of the Duxford example (same type as yours).

Attachments

• Duxford  May 2011 155.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 155.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Duxford  May 2011 156.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 156.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Thanks again folks for the kind words and them extra pics Terry. Managed to make some reasonable progress today but it was not without realising my worst fear with this build………………………………..

"I HAD A TAIL SITTER"....
t0103.gif

Before closing up I stuffed in upwards of 30g of shot into all areas of the nose that I could find room. But with the 2.5 to 3mm thick walls of this model and the huge tail with its stabilisers I'd obviously under estimated. So what to do. I have a contingency plan that may yet have to be used but for the moment I just attacked that lovely nose wheel bay with the Dremel and dug a great big hole in the resin in which I could add some more shot. This was not enough so I loaded the cockpit with more shot just to see what was going to be required to overcome the problem.

WOULD YOU BELIEVE ANOTHER 35G
b0407.gif
…………………….. and then the nose only just stays down. There was only one thing for it, I just had to fill the nose wheel bay with as much lead as I could, so the shot has been duly flattened and shaped and stuck into that beautiful resin bay. I could close the rear doors to cover it but, what the heck, I like the doors open.

So here it is on its legs and I've also joined the outer wing folds. Tomorrow I will try to make them look interesting.

121003-1C.jpg

121003-1D.jpg

121003-1E.jpg

121003-1A.jpg

121003-1B.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back