**** DONE: 1/48 Hawk 75N Royal Thai AF 1940 - Aircraft in Foreign Service GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys :)
I've wet sanded the paint with 1000 grit paper to smooth out the mask lines and give it a slightly weathered look and am now laying on multiple coats of Future before the decals and panel line work. That new formula Future works, but it takes a lot more coats to build up a nice glossy surface.
Pictures after this tedious process is over.

I lost count of the coats of Future but it must have been at least 6!
There weren't many decals, but they didn't go easy. The kit must have been one of the earlier Hobbycraft issues because the decals reminded me of the first Hobbycraft kits I did 20 years ago - very stiff and brittle. They had no reaction to any decal setting solution I had - Micro Set, Micro Sol, or Solvaset- and Solvaset usually eats them alive! Fortunately there were minimal panel lines running under the decals so I sliced then with a knife to get the panel line to show. The big problem you can see in the last picture was the rudder stripes. I'm going to have to do some careful touch-up painting.

P1046195.JPG
P1046197.JPG
P1046199.JPG

Last edited:
I hope I'm not going to sound like a jerk T Bolt but from what I've seen here, you are gosh darned good a masking. Wouldn't it be easier just to paint the stripes?

Geo
I wanted the colors in the tail stripes to match the wing markings. Had I known that the decals were going to act like that, I would have painted them all on before the camo and horizontal tail surfaces went on and masked them out. By the time I knew the decals were cr@p it was too late. It should look Ok when I'm done. Just frustration and some more work. I will not trust Hobbycraft decals again.

Looks like you fought the good fight Glenn done good despite the battle with decals....i am fearing the same with the tail striping on my Romanian bird, will know tomorrow if I have the same issue...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back