**** DONE: 1/48 P-47D - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you gentlemen. Yesterday the Dr. finally gave me some gout meds and the pain has subsided though I still can't bend my ankle. Good enough to hobble down stairs and sally forth. Finished the major decals and can't see much in the photo with regards to stencils. Added a tempera wash and it'll be removed anon. If enough remains on the model, I'll do the rest. Cowling is press fitted as I have yet to remove a band of paint from the glare panel to allow gluing.

001.JPG
003.JPG

Geo

Looks good George, Have you had good luck with temper wash? Whenever I tried it, it never was quite satisfactory. Didn't seem to stay in the panel lines enough when I wiped it off. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

I hear ya Glenn. For a brush painter the problem is compounded because more paint is in the panel lines. Truth be told, I've only done it once before and wasn't completely happy so I thought I would try something different, as in, remove almost all of the water from the paper towel, use smaller pieces, and a lighter touch. Seems to work better and touch ups are inevitable. On the elevators, the left side is tempera, the right side is done with pastel except for the hinge.
003.JPG

One thing I do like about tempera is that you can leave little streaks using a very light touch, don't like it, rub it out and do over. As can be seen, still have a little work to do.
004.JPG
005.JPG

As for all the paint staying in all the panel lines, it just doesn't happen in real life as can be seen in the photo of the actual aircraft. On the model's left fuselage, I counted 14 panel lines, 6 inspection plates and 2 spring loaded hand holds, on the photo, I can make out a couple.

Geo

Last edited:
Looking good with the decals and detail painting Geo. Hope the foot problem clears up soon for you mate - I know exactly what it's like, as I have it 24 hours a day, 5 out of 7 days.

I like the way that's turning out Geo.

As a suggestion, I would forego the scraping of the paint where the canopy is to be glued and simply use some clear part cement right on the paint. Yes, you won't get as good a bond but it does reduce the silvery look on the joint through the clear part. I know of some modelers who even paint the edge of the clear part to be glued black to eliminate this effect.

Thanks gentlemen and advice noted Andy. I like to use puzzle glue to attach my clear parts. It's somewhat thick so it can be used as a filler and is fairly strong. The appendages have been weathered and I'm slowly developing a technique I like, not quite there yet. First off, not as much paint around corners and edges. 2- I used smaller pieces of paper towel, about 2"x1½", folded twice(I'll narrow this down to 1x1 next time). 3- Less water on the paper towel, just touch the surface of the water and squeeze out the excess. 4- Lightly drag the towel, in the direction of the airflow, vertically across panel line, dragging most of the paint towards the panel. This will also leave streaks behind the panel. Clean this up with a wetter piece of towel but leave some streaks around the panel lines if you want. For the panel lines that run with the airflow, drag the paint towards the wingtip. Once I'm happy with the end result, I drag a dry piece of towel(in the airflow direction) across the streaks to blur them. Still a work in progress. On to weathering the fuselage.

006.JPG
007.JPG

009.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
Thank you Andy². Last of the weathering is complete, glue the cowling on, hit it with clear flat and Buddies yur uncle. Just have to finish the wheels, clear parts, attach the sway braces to the pylons and paint the lights. I left off the antenna until the end but there's no attachment point so I'm going to lay down tape with a 1mmx1mm opening scrape the paint off and hope for the best. Forgot....gun barrels.

007.JPG
008.JPG

009.JPG
012.JPG

Geo

EDIT: Added the 2 bottom photos, no sense taking up valuable internet space

Last edited:
Hey, George,
That Jug sure looks nice. I have enjoyed reading the thread. I have this kit on the shelf and I am really itching to do another Gabby bird.
Dale

Thank you gentlemen. Change of plan. I decided to drill a hole in the bottom of the antenna, glue some wire in it, drill a hole on the fuselage top and try that.

003.JPG
005.JPG

The part is about 1mm x .5mm and even with that small of drill, it almost split through the side of the part. Had to delay the windscreen as there was a small scratch on it so I dipped it in future. Should be on finals tomorrow.

Geo :alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::alien::reindeer::reindeer::santa:

Doing good Geo, like the weathering technique and I don't know where I would be without my micro drill set.

t07036.gif

That's really looking great George
Thanks gentlemen and advice noted Andy. I like to use puzzle glue to attach my clear parts. It's somewhat thick so it can be used as a filler and is fairly strong. The appendages have been weathered and I'm slowly developing a technique I like, not quite there yet. First off, not as much paint around corners and edges. 2- I used smaller pieces of paper towel, about 2"x1½", folded twice(I'll narrow this down to 1x1 next time). 3- Less water on the paper towel, just touch the surface of the water and squeeze out the excess. 4- Lightly drag the towel, in the direction of the airflow, vertically across panel line, dragging most of the paint towards the panel. This will also leave streaks behind the panel. Clean this up with a wetter piece of towel but leave some streaks around the panel lines if you want. For the panel lines that run with the airflow, drag the paint towards the wingtip. Once I'm happy with the end result, I drag a dry piece of towel(in the airflow direction) across the streaks to blur them. Still a work in progress. On to weathering the fuselage.

Geo
That's almost the same method I use to do my sludge washes. Only difference is that for a cleaner look I use black enamel thinned with mineral spirits over a Future sealed aircraft and for a dirtier look I use alcohol thinned acrylic over a Future sealed aircraft. The Future is totally unaffected by the mineral spirits wile the alcohol cuts into the Future leaving a dirtier finish.

Interesting Glenn. I used some nail polish remover to try and remove a black ink wash as an experiment and it took off the future and the ink down to bare plastic. Gonna have to experiment some more. How did you seal the wash without it running? Anyhoo....just waiting for the seatbelts to dry and apply and this sucker is done,

Geo

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back