**** DONE: 1/48 RAE SE.5a From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ecky-Thump... an interesting expression....

Last edited:
It's really 'ecky Thump, abbreviated from Hecky Thump. Far as I know, it originated in Yorkshire, or East Lancashire, over a century ago, has no direct meaning, apart from an expression of surprise, or admiration or approval. Rather like Bill's 'Good Lord', and substituted by the God-fearing, Presbetyrian working class, so as to avoid blasphemy and swear words. The word 'Heck', for example, is a substitute for 'Hell', once seen as strong language, even up until the 1960s. Similar to 'Flippin' or 'Flipping', replacing a rather strong word beginning with 'F', or the American 'Shoot', replacing sh*t, and so on.
It's an expression rarely used today though - how times have changed!

Many, many thanks for the nice words folks. The machine is finished, I just have to get into the shed and give it a protective spray, it was far too hot yesterday (40C+0 in the shade), hope to get that sorted this morning. Then will take some pictures.

It's really 'ecky Thump, abbreviated from Hecky Thump. Far as I know, it originated in Yorkshire, or East Lancashire, over a century ago, has no direct meaning, apart from an expression of surprise, or admiration or approval. Rather like Bill's 'Good Lord', and substituted by the God-fearing, Presbetyrian working class, so as to avoid blasphemy and swear words. The word 'Heck', for example, is a substitute for 'Hell', once seen as strong language, even up until the 1960s. Similar to 'Flippin' or 'Flipping', replacing a rather strong word beginning with 'F', or the American 'Shoot', replacing sh*t, and so on.
It's an expression rarely used today though - how times have changed!

T'was mot lost on I me ole mucker!

I took these pics thinking she was all done and dusted, then realised that I've still to add the pilots windscreen and the Flight Commanders tail flag………………..Oh well it will be done but in the meantime here are some views of the almost finished SE.5a.

20121126-1a.jpg

20121126-1b.jpg

20121126-1c.jpg

20121126-1d.jpg

20121126-1e.jpg

Smashing work Vic. :cool:

Terry,

Thank you for the explanation above. I copied that my friend. :D :wave:

You're welcome my friend. I can see it now - any traffic entering your control zone which is not quite right will be greeted with an 'Ecky Thump!' - in Polish!!

Possibly……………but also burbling partner !!.......................to many interruptions!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back