**** DONE: 1/48 SH-3A HS-4 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Terry, That Would be my last choppah!
But I gotta build one sooner or later.

Jan, I have a picture in my cruise book of an A4 from the Black Sheep Sqn on the Yorktown's deck! That would be my choice!

Here you are Bill. This is what the 'extra' nose parts look like taped together. Might need to fill the exhaust hole if it isn't the same as 'your' version, and you can see what I mean about the vents around the top. No big deal, as at least the overall shape is there, and matches the scale drawings correctly.

Attachments

• Can Jan 630.jpg
    Can Jan 630.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Can Jan 631.jpg
    Can Jan 631.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Can Jan 632.jpg
    Can Jan 632.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 132
CVS-10_Yorktown.jpg

USS Yorktown (CVS-10) at sea off Hawaii, some time between 1961 and 1963. On the flight deck are various aircraft of Carrier Anti-Submarine Air Group 55 (CVSG-55). The red-nosed Sikorsky HSS-1N Seabat helicopters were assigned to helicopter anti-submarine squadron HS-4 Black Knights. On the catapults are two Douglas AD-5W Skyraider aircraft of airborne early warning squadron VAW-11 Det.T Early Eleven. The Grumman S2F-1S Tracker planes belonged to anti-submarine squadron VS-23 Black Cats (white fin), and VS-25 Golden Eagles (red fin).

That would have been my cruise with HS-4, and our 34J's. I was discharged April 1st, 1964.

I would have been if I was on her early in the cruise. I met the ship at Subic Bay P.I. by Travis AFB California, MATS, Ford Island Hawaii, Wake Island and Tachikawa AFB Japan. From there to Manila, Hong Kong and Yokosuka. Didn't spend enough time in Japan. I would like to visit there. Spent too much time in the P.I. Never got to cross the Equator, so I am not a Shellback, sad to say.

There is a picture similar to, or that one, in the front of my cruise book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back