**** DONE: 1/48 SH-3A HS-4 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's been awhile since I heard it too, Bill. But only about 42 years. I hope your decals arrive.

Charles

Thanks guys......

Saturday today and have spent the morning doing other stuff, and the last couple hours doing a roof inside. Seems there is nothing between crew and engines and transmission. SO I is installin a roof!

Just using styrene card and 1/2mm is not enough to glue at the edge. The first pic shows some styrene rectangle for something to glue to. The half on the right is the sticks roughed in, the half on the right is shaped to the contour for the card to stick to. The second picture is the port side half with the card in place.

Now I can start laying out the ribbing, like I said I was agonna do!

I sailor on......

Attachments

• 15 SH-3A HS-4 4a roof.jpg
    15 SH-3A HS-4 4a roof.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 15 SH-3A HS-4 4b roof.jpg
    15 SH-3A HS-4 4b roof.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 59
Goo d stuff Bill. I'm wanting to get back to work on my Wessex, having seen your builds, but got too much to finish on the Halifax and other projects first.

I'm paddlin.
Appreciate the votes of confidence guys.....

I've started the ribbing.
Now I had trouble trying to form the .03 x .06 styrene along the widest part. So I had to think a bit outside the box. When forming sheet metal, to shorten the length of one side of a sheet, they Crimp it. When a solid is Piched, it lengthens. So if you strike one side of a solid with a cold chisel it will try and stretch. So having said that, I used a pair of scissors to Pinch one side of the styrene, this caused it to stretch and therefor create a curve. It's just a touch of a cut, not thru. The smaller the radius, the closer you pinch, on the long curve it was just a couple of pinches much farther apart.

Takes about 5-8 minutes each. I figure in a month I should have all the ribs in!!!!!

*Oh, I made a square out of thin styrene sheet to mark the rib lines. Thin sheet so it would bend on the curve of the side.

Attachments

• 15 SH-3A HS-4 5a ribs.jpg
    15 SH-3A HS-4 5a ribs.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 15 SH-3A HS-4 5b shape ribs.jpg
    15 SH-3A HS-4 5b shape ribs.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 15 SH-3A HS-4 5c shape ribs.jpg
    15 SH-3A HS-4 5c shape ribs.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 15 SH-3A HS-4 5d crimped ribs.jpg
    15 SH-3A HS-4 5d crimped ribs.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Thanks, I didn't think it was That clever, but if someone can use it, more the better.
BTW Vic, you did good on the Cat mate.
Thanks Andy, Paul and Karl.

I finished the verticals on one side, have run out of 3 x 6. Cut out the door for the resin door. The bluddy door came today, but still no decals!!!!!!!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh. On the bulkhead at the rear of the cabin I'm gonna use some alfoil for the zippered curtain. When I get some more styrene I'll do the horizontals on the walls.

I sailor on.

Attachments

• 15 SH-3A HS-4 6a ribbing.jpg
    15 SH-3A HS-4 6a ribbing.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 57

Users who are viewing this thread

Back