**** DONE: 1/48 SH-3A HS-4 - Carrier Aircraft GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
User Name: N4521U
Name: Bill
Category: Advanced
Entry: SH-3A of HS-4 1962-4
Kit: 1/48 Hasegawa SH-3H
Accessories : Eduard interior PE. Kit decals and custom made decals. More detail pkgs may be added later. Some, to plenty of scratch building for the sonar station in the rear compartment, depends how much pain I want to endure.

I was an aircrew member of HS-4 in the early 60's. Discharged before Viet Nam got hot. My goal is to have an example of the SH-34 and SH-3A's I crewed, this will be the 3A. GB#14 is the current HH-60H, the SH-60B ASW version will come later to complete my HS-4 series.

Minimal differences between the A and H series of the Sea King. The A model in the photo does not have the bladders on the wheel pods, nor the big wall in front of the jet intake. Other differences when I get into it.

Since I was air crew, and operated the Sonar gear, I do want to add this to the interior, all will have to be scratch built as no one makes aftermarket stuff, damn. If I do this I will have to open the cargo door on the starboard side. No real reason to open the port side entry hatch.

Colors are overall dark Navy blue. The nose, and rear band are international orange. Since the kit decals are made for the white D and H versions I will have to make custom white decals for all the markings. We do what we have to do eh?

I sailor on...... cursing all the way!

Attachments

• 15 SH-3A HS-4 1a example.jpg
    15 SH-3A HS-4 1a example.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 211
  • 15 SH-3A HS-4 1b kit box.jpg
    15 SH-3A HS-4 1b kit box.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 15 SH-3A HS-4 1c kit.jpg
    15 SH-3A HS-4 1c kit.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 15 SH-3A HS-4 1d kit.jpg
    15 SH-3A HS-4 1d kit.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 15 SH-3A HS-4 1e kit.jpg
    15 SH-3A HS-4 1e kit.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 15 SH-3A HS-4 1h kit.jpg
    15 SH-3A HS-4 1h kit.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 15 SH-3A HS-4 1i PE interior.jpg
    15 SH-3A HS-4 1i PE interior.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 201
  • 15 SH-3A HS-4 1g kit.jpg
    15 SH-3A HS-4 1g kit.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 210
Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, a classic, now I know I'm old! And I do like the dark blue rather than the white, which to me just looks very anemic, yick!

Andy, decals no problemo. Got the white ones when I got my Corsair decals. Only didn't know the nose had black ones at the time. Looks like some sqns had white, others black. Always sumpin!!! I do have a sheet of black ones but the 5 is kinda wanky, but may live with it. Just took the kit out of the box. I'll give the sonar position a go, test it anyway.

Possibly Jan, but this is the first time I've seen HS-4 HSS-1's in white! On my cruise in '63 they were HS-34J's and blue and orange similar to the 3A above.....

AND, I couldn't resist, made the sonar operators seats today and the full panel bulkhead behind the co-pilots seat. Now for the winch for the sonar ball. Why oh why do I do this to myownself?

Saw an old ('89) Revell UH-34D in Spain, wants £78 for it! I think NOT!

Edit: I've just seen that Revell is soon re-releasing their UH-34D in 1/48, #85-5323! What do you need to do, to make her into one like in the pics?

Last edited:
I agree Vic, it does seem to fit well, so far. Not so many prickly things on the outside, which is a ++!

Sorry Geo, I missed you question. Answer is yes, one of the sqn A/C while I was crewing.

Jan, not much diff in the models. We were flying 34J models when I was in HS-4. Just denoted ASW use. The Revell Wessex Terry is building in 1/48th also has the round engine claam shell doors included in the kit. So one o-them would get you the HSS-1, or SH-34J. Or me.

So this evening I have started the scratch stuff. I started by completing the bulkhead side panel and crew seats. Still have to make the legs for the seats, sitting on glue tac just won't get it. Then will have to start on the transducer ball hoist.

So much for the first day! LMAO

Attachments

• 15 SH-3A HS-4 2a bulkhead.jpg
    15 SH-3A HS-4 2a bulkhead.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 15 SH-3A HS-4 2b crew seats.jpg
    15 SH-3A HS-4 2b crew seats.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 188
The colorful U.S.N. aircraft of that period have long been a favorite of mine. This will be one sharp looking bird!
Your service with this craft will certainly give a unique angle to the build, I shall watch this one closely!

Great stuff so far Bill, and really looking forward to the rest of the build - going to be another cracker I think. Still surprised Hasegawa moulded the doors as part of the fuselage though.
One thing on the Wessex kit - the earlier nose included in the kit has very poorly defined moulded cooling grilles along the top, and at the side exhaust points, so be prepared for some cutting, adding mesh, and scratch0building the frames.

Terry, as long as the doors are fairly round and don't have that big tumor on them.

Jan, I was thinkin an S2F would be a good subject for the GB#30, New lease on life as a CA Forestry fire bomber. Draw decals makes a couple of versions that are pretty nice. But that's 2016, 4 years away. Won't bother getting a kit just yet!

I just noticed Meatloaf is sporting a new siggy!!!! Wowwwww. I may have to come up with a new one meself!

This morning I am doing the seat rails for the sonar operators. In here while the glue dries. The only way I can keep from screwing them up by touching them. And watching the Pirates and Diamondbacks baseball game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back