**** DONE: 1/48 Douglas SBD-3/4 Dauntless – Carrier Aircraft GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i love this bartender:

flair-bartender-girl.jpg

double beers please aaaauuugghhhhhhh!!!!!!!! five leffe blonde now

Last edited:
The description is quite right, but of course, the condition of a particular prop blade would depend on the atmospheric operating conditions, and the conditions (and local climate) at the airfield (or carrier) being used.
The leading edge of the blade will certainly get some abrasion, although this tends to be almost uniform, and relatively smooth. The rear face, and trailing edge of the blade depending on the composition and surface finish of the blade itself, will often exhibit wear, as this is moving in turbulent air, and therefore more prone to abrasion from moisture, ice, dust etc.
Think of each individual blade as a wing, which is not only moving in a 'forward' direction (spinning), but also an 'upward' direction (the blade moving through the air). Each blade has to pass through the turbulent air of the preceding blade, and the airfoil section will, by design and it's very nature, 'shrug off' the major amount of drag and any particle interference, leaving the 'dead' area of the blade, the rear, to 'collect' the turbulence and disipate this, hence being more susceptible to abrasion overall.
There's a lot more to this, obviously, and I'm not an aerodynamasist, but this is a basic explanation, and, as mentioned, a lot depends on the material of the blade, and its surface coating.
Bottom line - the frontal area of a serviceable prop blade would not normally show chipping or wear.

The description is quite right, but of course, the condition of a particular prop blade would depend on the atmospheric operating conditions, and the conditions (and local climate) at the airfield (or carrier) being used.
The leading edge of the blade will certainly get some abrasion, although this tends to be almost uniform, and relatively smooth. The rear face, and trailing edge of the blade depending on the composition and surface finish of the blade itself, will often exhibit wear, as this is moving in turbulent air, and therefore more prone to abrasion from moisture, ice, dust etc.
Think of each individual blade as a wing, which is not only moving in a 'forward' direction (spinning), but also an 'upward' direction (the blade moving through the air). Each blade has to pass through the turbulent air of the preceding blade, and the airfoil section will, by design and it's very nature, 'shrug off' the major amount of drag and any particle interference, leaving the 'dead' area of the blade, the rear, to 'collect' the turbulence and disipate this, hence being more susceptible to abrasion overall.
There's a lot more to this, obviously, and I'm not an aerodynamasist, but this is a basic explanation, and, as mentioned, a lot depends on the material of the blade, and its surface coating.
Bottom line - the frontal area of a serviceable prop blade would not normally show chipping or wear.
Great info!

Here is an old WWII photo of some SBD's flying:
note weathering, not always the same on each aircraft..
184040.jpg

forgive the delay in putting more time advances but no woman is sick and almost no time to even stop by the forum even less for models, I hope to finish it today at the weekend.

the propeller is already repaired, removed the decals, they strip paint and repainted, this time as well as the companion explained Terry, I have tried to follow the letter explaining the effects on the props, but this fact today the paint is still wet so I did not even photos so you can appreciate the propeller without shine, when you put on the varnish mateos more advances.

to better the appearance of the antenna wire this time I thought about playing it safe with no evidence of copper wire in the fw 190 d9 and I chose to do with plastic stretched the old way, another solution is through a friend who gave me a very elastic nylon type but can not find doctor donning nylon both amount and dismounted by the issue that if I move now if not then again I have not half the things in the room lost if they have to go to a bank in this country is the greatest ordeal that a human being can suffer, luckily my wife has patience for both these cases, if not more than one would have sung the forty

Geo thanks.

bad week repeatedly broken antenna and a big disappointment with the decals of prop disintegrated to return to them, I have the luck of autentics Declas for them again ......
already in the last section the paneling with watercolors, is the house brand.

IMG_2509_zpscfdabf47.jpg

IMG_2510_zpse04b6e34.jpg

IMG_2511_zpsf44f62c5.jpg

Soil watercolor let dry for 2 days for normal after the excess withdrawal, Oil repect advantage is that the watercolor pigment quickly fly to loosen the oil no.

this is the prop with airfrmes simulation has explained so well and has been a pleasure to have such technical-practical I will never forget.

IMG_2512_zpse0f1f00e.jpg

This fact follows, gloss black base, the trailing edge center in matte black, the leading edge to the center with Gunze tire black and gray tinged with all of vallejo panzer least Gunze H77.

and soon to pass ....... postpress already started the next plane to put on the forum today .....

wayne quiet'll try to eliminate any possibility of any type of problem but has now, thanks.

thanks all, guys.

I hope we go with the last photos before finalizing the project, reviewing possible failures realized I had over-tensioning cable antenna mast bending the back too, so the antenna outside and had set a new place, while I wiped watercolor removed leaving excess dirt effect on the body and wings.
we split the photos priemro withdrawal of watercolors.

IMG_2518_zps385c5a32.jpg

IMG_2519_zps6f3e6a48.jpg

a detail of the final look.

IMG_2520_zps181067e6.jpg

Now the issue of the antenna, rear anchor is made of plastic stretched above the antenna, give cement to melt remaining strong and soft to place the end and we do the typical tassel union.

IMG_2517_zpsd0bf22aa.jpg

I place the entrance to communications equipment and give it a droplet of cyanocrilato to mimic the joint between cables, loose the mast hit the other end of the antenna to the utensil and a piece made ​​to withstand tight and let the cement dry and harden once this dry 2 or 3 days the aircraft will be finished.

IMG_2516_zpsd5e9ebe6.jpg

I forgot and I will have to paint the antenna, easy thing to brush and with more patience than a saint not to break it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back