**** DONE: 1/48 Douglas SBD-3/4 Dauntless – Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

thanks I'm glad you like it.

give light hands so matt varnish remaining areas are satin and other matt.

IMG_2491_zpsaee7c969.jpg

IMG_2492_zps870596d6.jpg

IMG_2493_zpsd418dd6a.jpg

IMG_2494_zpse30f4bb7.jpg

IMG_2495_zpsb462d416.jpg

IMG_2497_zpsdc26ca79.jpg

detail of one of the wings

IMG_2498_zps209eb4c1.jpg

I finally I bring the sponge technique for chipping,
this is the helice:

IMG_2482_zps566a0071.jpg

sponge

IMG_2484_zpscffb4285.jpg

paint

IMG_2485_zps0be7afba.jpg

wet the tip of the sponge in the paint, remove the excess paint on a boat to return the operation, give the sponge tap it on a piece of paper to get a little paint avoiding potential drops

IMG_2486_zps207eaa4a.jpg

after that I give the I'll chipping area when he noticed that the sponge gets stuck in the direction of the air drag, is saying that his is the propeller start feeding from the leading edge to the upward trend of leakage

IMG_2487_zps8e4565c0.jpg

IMG_2488_zps0371b80c.jpg

Once the paint has dried and placed the decals also marks the upper edge and is placed:

IMG_2489_zps218fdedf.jpg

IMG_2490_zps7be2bb9d.jpg

IMG_2496_zps95c26ec7.jpg

Last edited:
Love how she turned out, this is probobly my favorite out of your builds so far Sergio :)

Nice work Sergio. The propellor might be rather too weathered though - paint wear tended to be just that -wear, not chipping - and was (is) mainly seen on the trailing edge of the blade, on the rear surface mostly, with lighter wear on the leading edge. Much of this would depend on the conditions flown in of course, and the base used. Wet weather when flying, or dusty conditions on the ground, would be the main causes.

Looking great! Paint and weathering turned out very nice, like what airframes said though the back side of the prop really shouldnt be chipped though but front side looks about right for the island conditions. Keep at it Im really liking this build!

Other way around - abrasion wear, not chipping, is more prominent on the trailing edge rear face of a prop, with the tips on both sides seeing wear also. The leading edge of the blades can sometimes exhibit some wear, but the blade itself, if that badly chipped, would normally result in the prop being replaced. It's an indication of frontal damage, not wear.

What else don't I know?
So much new information for an old brain to retain!
"make it a double bartender"!

Great work Sergio!

Our SBD-3s and 4s were obtained ex-USN, and were not in the best condition, so a little heavy weathering suits here. Terry's right re the props though - we maintained everything to as high astandard as possible under the conditions, and props and things would not be allowed to deteriorate so badly. Replacement items would have been pilfered from a write-off if new ones were unavailable.

I don't know if I can digest all this info. Good as it is, it's mind boggling.

Bill... you forgot the comma.... what would you do with a double bartender ?

Charles

Well, but the explanation of how to release the effect was clear?, was my first intention.
paint and decals placed well I guess a 5 minute task.
these things do actually have even more eager to join you at these events, really very good information, I suddenly have more than three books of the SBD, the AirLife also the squadron-signal, that not a single mention of this aircraft in this nation, just talk about the American and French aircraft. the AJ-Press'm still waiting for it to arrive, so I DOWNLOAD, but surely missing more than one page, so I can not comment further.

On the effect of dust in the paint caught my eye and I asked my friend Luis Felipe motor mechanic at Boeing, he told me that depend on the angle of the blades have to go through the dust cloud generated by the passage of each blade itself, the more acute angle generates more turbulence on the back of the blade, you send the image as the prop as I did and he said it was highly unlikely that the rear face painting tubiera that loss, which would focus on the leading edge. At the front would also be bad because it would be too badly damaged or deteriorated, explains that seems more maintenance, abandoned for quite some time, which I doubt would happen, the chip should be more concentrated on the edge of the blade and the color go difunanandose backward in almost straight lines, but never be longer than 1/4 of the props

Anyway, thank you all for the information and other support for all in general be here commenting and making my job much better and have an even better weathering

Users who are viewing this thread

Back