**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.II – 266 (Rhodesia) Sqn, RAF Wittering. BofB Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Harry.

Latest update, got the underside sprayed today and masked ready for the dark earth coat tomorrow sometime. Feel like I'm suddenly on the home stretch.

Attachments

• 1i-5 Spray shop.jpg
    1i-5 Spray shop.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 1i-6 Spray shop.jpg
    1i-6 Spray shop.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 90
Looking good Vic. What Humbrol colour number did you use for the 'Sky' underside? I haven't used Humbrol 'Sky' for some time, having had Xtracolour in stock, and since some of the paint numbers changed, I'm a bit lost on this one, and it ain't on the Humbrol listings as 'Sky' anymore !

got the good table cloth out for those pics!

Only the best Andy, a nice bit of felt from the billiard table (no not mine, don't have one, it was a cut-off).

Looking good Vic. What Humbrol colour number did you use for the 'Sky' underside? I haven't used Humbrol 'Sky' for some time, having had Xtracolour in stock, and since some of the paint numbers changed, I'm a bit lost on this one, and it ain't on the Humbrol listings as 'Sky' anymore !

Probably not the right one, Humbrol 167 well thinned, was as close as I could get Terry, unfortunately, we islanders are not able to get Xtracolour from Hannants though I did manage it some years back when they had a sale and I bought up big in kits. They hid the pots of paint in with the kits, but with current regulations I have a feeling this would have been a one off.

As for the build, got the dark earth on today and masked later this afternoon ready for a dawn spray of dark green.

Also opened our paper today (Canberra Times) and this picture was splashed across the page. P7350 on a B of B commemorative flight, sadly not in 266Sqn code though.

Attachments

• 1i-7 Paper Pic.jpg
    1i-7 Paper Pic.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 78
That is a great pic! Looks very recent too, as the aircraft are carrying those markings at present. Must have been for one of the Commemoration events, as the pilots are wearing period kit. They had to stop wearing the leather helmets after Spencer Flack's crash in the Sea Fury, where he had to use his 'bone dome' to break out of the canopy, and have worn hard helmets and current (black) flying suits ever since.
Thanks for the paint info Vic. Hannant's will only send paints with a kit, but I think it's surface mail only to outside the UK, or possibly not at all now. I know they can't send aerosols overseas.

Well the spraying is done, though it's not as good as I would have liked, I'm a bit rusty with this camouflage business so it's just as well to get a bit of practice before needing to paint the Roc.

2a-2.jpg

This was the rough masking where paper cut-outs, Blu-Tak and Tape were used. I must confess, I'd forgotten how the Blu-Tak could leave smear.

2a-3.jpg

2a-5.jpg

2a-6.jpg

Now help needed as I'm not sure if I should give the paintwork a light sanding with say a 1500 or 2000grit to just take the rough edges off the paint or should I just go ahead and spray it with 'One Go' and hope for the best prior to decaling.

Anybody with sweet words of advice or ideas, please holler.

P.S. The lighting was not to good, it was just coming on dusk and I had to use the desk lamp

Last edited:
Vic a light rub down wouldn't hurt...use real fine stuff and keep it light on the application as you rub it down and you should be right....so in effect you're giving it a bit of a polish....

All done Wayne, thanks and it worked fine. Have been weathering it today before a spray of 'One Go', then it will be decal time and fitting the fiddly bits.

Just a little update on the old Spit, got the fellow decaled up this evening, there now drying out. These pics were taken earlier and show a little of the weathering. The big job now is to make the shiny new decals look kind of dirty.

Attachments

• 100924-A3.jpg
    100924-A3.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 100924-A4.jpg
    100924-A4.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 92
  • 100924-A6.jpg
    100924-A6.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 100924-A7.jpg
    100924-A7.jpg