**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.II – 266 (Rhodesia) Sqn, RAF Wittering. BofB Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I intended only to do the Spitfire after my other entry, however, having experimenting with varying methods of stripping the original paint I was kind of sucked in and this is the result so far.

1a-2 Kit.jpg

The pieces of the kit prior to stripping the paint

1b-1.jpg

After stripping and painting. Thanks to the help of Wojetk, a soak in brake fluid took a good part of the paint off, but where gloss was used I had to revert to scraping and as the kit has raised panel lines, some re-scribing was required.

1c-1 Port pit.jpg

1d-1 Stbd pit.jpg

Port and stbd cockpit walls from the box. Not much detail.

1c-2 Port pit.jpg

1d-2 Stbd pit.jpg

After a little work.

1c-4 Port pit.jpg

1d-4 Stbd pit.jpg

The final finish.

1e-2 Inst Panel.jpg

The instrument panel after having had to scraped away the white paint blobs and subsequently all the detail.

1e-3 Inst Panel.jpg

The almost finishes instrument panel after raiding the bits box and scratch building.

1f-1 Pit Floor.jpg

1f-2 Pit Floor.jpg

No cockpit flooring of any sort is provided, so I made one.

1g-1 Port Wheel Well.jpg

1g-2 Stbd Wheel Well.jpg

1g-3 Stbd Intake.jpg

The port and stbd wheel wells were a bit rough as well, so again we improved them. My information indicated that the port and stbd had different strengthening. I also hunted for a grill for the under wing radiator inlet (I think that's what it is) which is a little course but later this evening I found something finer, so will replace it.

Next up, I hope to get it all closed up and painted.

Last edited:
Great job with the scratched parts and the removal of the paint. I know how much of a pain in the butt that can be.

Excellent Vic, bl**dy marvellous job mate ! It's too late to change the undercarriage selector, but if you can do something to the cockpit entrance flap, it would look more authentic. The crow bar wasn't fitted until after the Battle, mainly as a result of hoods being stuck in an emergency, and then mainly due to slipstream pressure. (no canopy jettison on the Mk1 at that stage.)
The flap itself had two vertical frames in the centre also, equally spaced.
Just getting that paint off was an achievement, but the scratch-building has really improved the whole lot. Well done mate.

Thank you one and all, your comments are much appreciated.

Thanks also Terry for the info on the flap cover , I'll see what I can do, hopefully it's not to late.

Just a couple more pictures of progress to date. I managed to close the fuselage up yesterday and have spent most of today cleaning seams and re-scribing raised panel lines. I also got the wings together yesterday and again have used today to clean them up. With this being a second build of this model, my having pulled it apart earlier in the piece, the new joins are not so good. When the wings were mounted on the fuselage.........................................................................well, the last picture tell the story.

1h-1 Pit.jpg

The cockpit mounted into the stbd side of the fuselage half.
1h-2 Pit.jpg

1i-1 Wing join.jpg

Oh dear.......................................not to worry, I've stuck in some slivers of Evergreen plastic to fill the gaps and a good coating of thick Zap-a Gap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back