**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.II – 266 (Rhodesia) Sqn, RAF Wittering. BofB Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Username: Vic Balshaw
First name: Vic
Category: 2 – Intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Revell
Model Type: Spitfire Mk.II P7350 of 266 (Rhodesia) Sqn, RAF Wittering.

Subject to acceptance this is my second entry into the BofB Group Build. The kit is 2nd hand and has also been part built and painted by its former owner. I have dismantled the model and intend to re-build the kit from scratch using a hogpog concoction of resin, etched and whatever else I can find to complete the kit.

P7350 began life at Castle Bromwich on 18 August 1940 when issued to No 6MU Brize Norton, it was then passed on 6 September 1940 to 266 (Rhodesia) Sqn RAF Wittering, Cambridgeshire and was given squadron code UO-T. Its stay with 266 Sqn was short lived as it passed onto 603 (County of Edinburgh) Sqn, RAF Hornchurch on the 17 October 1940. P7350 still survives today with the BBMF and is the oldest surviving Spitfire.

On the 9th August 266 Sqn moved to temporary digs at RAF Tangmere then on the 12th August to RAF Eastchurch in defence against possible anti-shipping operations. On the 13th August Eastchurch was heavily bombed and severely damaged with six aircraft being destroyed on the ground so the next day, the remains of 266 Sqn moved to RAF Hornchurch where it remained for a week before returning back to RAF Wittering.

1a-4 UO-T 266 Sqn.jpg

P7350 in more modern times, though it seems to have an upgraded engine if the exhaust is anything to go by.

1a-4a UO-T 266 Sqn.jpg

P7350 again in more modern times but with 266 Sqn code ZH-T which was not adopted until early in 1942

1a-1 Kit.jpg

The Kit

1a-2 Kit.jpg

1a-3 Kit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Karl and Wojetk. As people say to gain time while thinking of an answer 'that's a good question'. Well so far all efforts with mild chemicals have failed, naturally I can't use anything very strong or the plastic will melt. The kit has raised panel lines so these have to be cleaned off and new ones etched in. If you look closely at the tail and rear of the fuselage half in the centre of the picture, you will see that I have actually started gently scraping the paint off.

Naturally, if you gurus out there have something better to suggest, please do so as all that gentle scraping is going to be a pain.

Looking forward to your progress on this one Vic. The prop spinner in the pics also provide a clue that the subject was photographed with later mods.

As to the paint removal, you're doing what I would do - sanding and rescribing would be the safe bet.

Should be an interesting exercise Vic ! I believe Mr. Muscle oven cleaner is good for removing paint, although i haven't tried it. Keith (wherever he's gone) has used it successfully.
I've had the honour, and imense pleasure, of sitting in, and moving, P7350 on numerous occassions, back in the '80s, when I made an AV show about the flight. It's been re-engined a number of times, and it was a case of fitting (more or less) whatever was available at the time. Nowadays, with more spares and parts around, the BBMF try to get their charges as authentic as possible. The aircraft still carries three patches, covering bullet holes from the Battle of Britain !

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you Vic. All the best mate.

Thanks Andy, my Roc build is going to take precedence, this one is a fill in for something to do in between times. :p

Interesting collection of bits and pieces! I'm sure theres a great spitfire somewhere in that pile8)

Cheers Peter

I hope your right Peter, I just took a handful of spare bits and sort of chucked them down for the photo shoot. :D :D

Looking forward to your progress on this one Vic. The prop spinner in the pics also provide a clue that the subject was photographed with later mods.

As to the paint removal, you're doing what I would do - sanding and rescribing would be the safe bet.

Thanks Andy, it's good to know someone agrees with me, though I think it is going to be hard going. :) :)

Should be an interesting exercise Vic ! I believe Mr. Muscle oven cleaner is good for removing paint, although i haven't tried it. Keith (wherever he's gone) has used it successfully.
I've had the honour, and imense pleasure, of sitting in, and moving, P7350 on numerous occassions, back in the '80s, when I made an AV show about the flight. It's been re-engined a number of times, and it was a case of fitting (more or less) whatever was available at the time. Nowadays, with more spares and parts around, the BBMF try to get their charges as authentic as possible. The aircraft still carries three patches, covering bullet holes from the Battle of Britain !

Thanks Terry and thanks for the tip but I think I'll give the oven cleaner a miss, I've seen what it can do to ovens. I also read that the real P7350 still bore the marks from battle, I'd love to have seen a picture of the patching, it would be great if I could duplicate it.....................:p :p

I think it would be virtually impossible to duplicate the BDR patches Vic. They were so well done, that they are barely noticeable. You have to really look for them, and even then, they're not easy to see. I tried photographing one back in '82, but it didn't show on the print !

Vic..do you remember what kind of paints has been used for colouring of the model? I mean oil enemels or acrylic paints?

Re: removing paint. There is a GREAT product out there that the railroad modellers came up with called Scalecoat II washaway. Plop your model in a tub of this stuff for 24 hrs and ALL the paint can be removed with a toothbrush and some running water. Fantastic stuff for cleaning airbrushes too. I recommend it highly. Here's a link, it's at the bottom of the page.

Scalecoat II Paint

Or use a brake fluid called R-3 or DOT-3 or DOT-4. Also you can use a "laxative" for pipes in kitchens or washrooms.

Wojetk, I'm unsure what paint has been used as I was given the kit half built and painted, my guess would be Testors Gloss as I also got a stack of these paints at the same time. Thanks also for the advice on the brake fluid, I'll look some out next time I'm at the shops..

Thanks Andy for the heads-up on the Scalecoat II Washaway, being an island even though we are very large I may have problem getting here, but I will give it a try along with Wojetk's ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back