**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.II – 266 (Rhodesia) Sqn, RAF Wittering. BofB Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What Karl said !
Great work on the cockpit Vic, and I like the Sutton harness, very nice ! Is it too late to get rid of that shelf thingy behind the bulkhead? It shouldn't be there, ( sorry, I didn't spot if before). The area was open, with the main (twin) oxygen cylinders vertical on the port wall, and the black, feed oxygen cylinder (horizontal) on the starboard wall.
To be honest, in this scale, it's difficult to see anything in that area, and especially if the canopy is open, so just removing the shelf and painting the whole area Cockpit Grey Green would be enough.

Thank you gentlemen for those kind words, as David (vikingBerserker) said.....'yikes'............so here is a progress report.

1i-2 Wing join.jpg

Filling with Evergreen and loads of Zap-a Gap. As you can see, lots of scraping also required.

1i-3 Wing join.jpg

Scraping done, a bit rough maybe, but I'll give it an undercoat spray tomorrow and see how it comes out...................could end up being a very battle scarred Spit................

1i-4 Wing join.jpg

Great job 'neutralising' that gap Vic. Bit like being on the Tube in London - "Mind the gap" !
While you're there, scrape /sand off the two reinforcing strips on each wing. These were a later addition, often retrofitted, to provide stiffening above the relatively thin area over the wheel wells. I think the kit was actually modelled on P7350, now of the BBMF, back in the 1960s, which has the strips, which were added in 1941 IIRC.

Wilco Terry and thanks for that and the heads up with the rear bulkhead. Was able to remove the shelf, but it's a bit late for fitting the bottles as its all sealed up now.

No problems with the bottles Vic, it's hardly worth it, unless you want to know they're there, as even in 1/32nd scale, you'd have to turn the model at an angle, remove the canopy, and squint to see them !

Many thanks Kevin and Peter.

Further progress is being made but am having a bit of trouble hiding some of the filler in other parts of this reconstructed kit, there were a number of nicks and chips in the original plastic. I've also been making some navigation and other lights along with the required aerials as none were supplied with this basic kit. Maybe I'll have something to post in a couple of days.

Also made a start on the other entry, the Roc this evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back