**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXb - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sorry Geo! Not your fault though, that resin seat harness is wrong!
No worry though, as it probably won't be noticed, even with the canopy and hatch open.
There were variations of the 'Y' tail strap, with the version as shown in Andy's pic, and the later version, where the two shoulder straps joined a single longitudinal strap, before attaching to the 'Bowden' cables. The MkIX would normally have the latter, if fitted with the later harness, but both could be seen.
It's very possible that whoever designed that resin seat, thought the straps were the same as in the Hurricane, where that extra, lower 'Y' strap arrangement is on the front side, passing through the lower slot in the seat, and anchoring behind it. Although there is a slot, on early Spit seats at least, it wasn't used, due to angles and attachment points, as the 'g' force generated by the angles of the straps, when used 'in anger' would break the pilot's back !

All good Terry and thanks Jerry. Starboard wing tip done. Just need to tidy up two small divots that the camera picked up, thank you very much. Port wing tip is worse than the other. The worst is on the top, my choice as I didn't want to ruin the inspection plates. This will be the first time that I will attempt to scribe panel lines with this kind of putty and I want to keep the scribing to a minimum, straight lines. Puttied up the long sinkhole in front of the aileron. Exercise, then sand.

020.JPG
021.JPG
022.JPG

Geo

Fine work you're doing there Geo. Scribing on putty can be tricky as the stuff tends to chip and break off in chunks bigger than you'd like. I use some very thin saws like these, going very lightly and removing the putty rather than scratching it.

1aaf20284d228913dd795827aa3158de.image.375x500.jpg

Just caught up on your build George. Wonderful work so far, especially on the wingtip. I remember what a pain that was on the ICM spit I built for the Foreign Service GB.

Many thanks gentlemen and I'll look for that tool once the funds get transferred. The fuselage join is on hold until Andy pops in as I have a question....In your build it looks like you added the cockpit to the right side before joining the halves together. The instructions want the halves together and the cockpit inserted from below. While this process has work well with other models in the past, a trial run shows that the cockpit needs to be gently forced in, spreading the fuselage parts outward, which may pop a glued seam.

Geo

Never mind, I turned the page and there it was.

Last edited:
Hi Geo. I preferred gluing the pit to one side as there was a lot of crap glued to the sidewalls and I was worried I would snap something off. Glad you found the answer anyway. Dunno, just found it easier to do it that way.

Ya you got him together :D nice :D

Thanks guys. This is where the fun and smilies stop. The top cowl piece is too narrow, maybe a half mm. on each side. I thought it might have been the firewall, but everything fits tight. Oh well, it's not like I haven't used putty before. While waiting for the glue to dry, I attacked the landing gear. The wheels had a slight mold alignment issue but a few swipes settle that. Onto the oleo scissors. Little tiny oleo scissors attached to whacking great globs of plastic. These are then folded along a very thin indent. Even though I tried to remove them with a scalpel, they came away in two pieces. I think my recovery came out quite well.

005.JPG
006.JPG

The model is in bed now. Gonna work on the Ventura to get it done.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back