**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXb - Aircraft Nose Art GB. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the sympathy gentlemen. In between the trimming and furniture moving, I managed to find a couple of square feet of flatness, so here's where I am. The top cowling panel is narrow. I studied Andy's build and there was no problem there. C'est la vie. I got the best fit and have added styrene strips to lessen the mud build up. I hate adding exhausts at this stage but whadayagonnado(I seem to have angered Mr. Spellcheck). I've also added lots of styrene to strengthen the inside joins. What would my builds be without a mud session, later tonight.

View attachment 242454View attachment 242455

The Grand Duchess In Charge Of Everything can be seen adding the final coat to the living room.
View attachment 242456

The kitchen is a lesser shade of grey, FS number unknown, called newsprint. Now, having been a papermaker making newsprint for 22yrs, I informed the Rear Admiral In Charge Of Completing Me that any paper we made of that hue, would immediately be culled and thrown in the beater pit. I have never been stared at in silence for so long and decided it was a good time to walk Dawg.

Geo
Ooo,...
Questioning her choice of color?
You like to live on the edge!

Do not question anything, or that newsprint color will be changed to Martha Stewart Salmon Pink hotness.

The model on the other hand looks great :D :) continue working hard on her :D

I can rant all I like about the colors when she's out of the house. Mud is on and we wait. I popped out the port exhaust after the last photos were taken as that where most of the sanding was going to take place and I would probably pop it out anyhow or worse, damage it. Wait an hour, sand and see what develops.

001.JPG
002.JPG

Geo

First layer of mud has been sanded and more than pleased. I thought it would take at least three sessions but it looks like two will do.

005.JPG
006.JPG

When I first started seam checking with silver, I used Tamiya Flat Aluminum. When it ran out, it was 4hr return trip to P.G. and ¾ tank of gas. Now I use this, the price is nice and it's two blocks away.

004.JPG

Just waiting for the paint to dry, re-mud, re-sand and then tackle the wing/fuselage join. As with Andy's(Crimea_River) build, the rear of the wing assembly needs to be removed a tad.

Geo

Not sure if you're back from walking the dog yet, or are you outside living with him now?

Spit look alright George. Like you say, I didn't have that isse at the nose cowl but one criticism of old ICM kits was quality control and maybe you got one with a short-shot molding.

Hopefully the last daub of mud has just been applied. If I lined the cowling top flush with one side there was about a 1½mm shortfall on the other and the rear was also about ½mm lower so I believe you are right Andy. Still, it's no Hobbycraft nightmare I am used to tackling After this is dealt with, wings and tail feathers. In between that, I have a couple million staples to remove from the floors in preparation for the hardwood flooring.

Geo

Wings are glued on with the exception of the very rear. This part was too long so I started to make it shorter. Just about....almost....too much. I'll let the forward section dry overnight and then glue, putty sand tomorrow.

002.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back